Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Temperature question....

• Please log in to reply

pomp

pomp

the man

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Hello... I have build my gaming PC! lol.. It looks sweett....

I downloaded and installed the program that tells you the temps of your computer and fan speed and what not. It says that my cpu temp is 125 F. Is that OK? And like when I start a game and stuff.. how many degrees do you think it will go up by? Thanks, hope someone can respond!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Sounds a little high for a idle temp, your temp should raise 7 to 10 degress celsius when under full load.

sorry but I usually use celsius when referring to computer temps so your 125f/ 51c is a bit high but if the computer is stable and I mean completely stable ( no restarts, no bsod's, no lock ups) when at full load such as playing a intense game or when running a stability test such as prime 95 then I would not worry about the temps as reported by software or bios.

If however stability problems occur then you need to takemeasures to get the cpu temp down to the low 40c at idle and no more than 60c when under full load.

Rick

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
what CPU is this?

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
Intel 3.4 GHZ HT.. with stock HSF

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
oh.. yeah.. thats high.. thats what my pentium D idles at.. but thats two processors at once so its ok.. do you not have a good fan blowing air out the back or is there one at all or maybe your cords are so tangled up all over the computer that air flow is crappy? o.. you have a lot of hardrives in there producing a bunch of heat. If any of this is true.. either do something about it or buy and install more fans on the side and back of the case. Also.. with that monitor program tell me the vcore if it shows you it

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
The VCore is 1.427V to 1.432V...

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
hmm. seems ok.. mine is at about 1.36 yeah I bet your case isn't ventilating well on the inside, hopefully your cpu fan is running around 2000 rpm idling and about 3500 rpm at full load. to sufficiently cool the cpu's heatsink it really just seems like a ventilation problem nothing wrong with the hardware.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
The CPU Fan is going at 2600 RPM..And I have 6 fans total in my computer..

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
It's an i915Pa-E AOpen motherboard. I have the silenttek software installed.. there's a thing about calibrating the cpu fan.. and it says its not calibrated. what do you think it does really? and is it necessary?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i have never had to calibrate a cpu fan, mind you never had an intel for myself. But it is a cpu with a reputation for running hot so ad doby says if its stable just leave it otherwise, well getting the temps down on that is a pain. Without something like a xp120 you are never going to be able to overclock.

Advertisements

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
I have no plans to overclock! .. Soon I will be running the F.E.A.R. Demo on it and see what it's like.. I have a chaintech nvidia geforce 6600 in it!! with 256 MB RAM on the card.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Should play it okay on medium settings.

pomp

pomp

the man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
kk, I ran the FEAR Demo on my new computer with the Geforce 6600 in it!.....

It ram very smooth on it!... On my Dell which has the FX 5200 in it.. it ran like total crap!...

But k, on the new computer.. the system temp (what exactly is that).. gets up to about 113 F.. i guess a bit past it because the SilentTek software is set to warn you when your system temp goes to 113 F.. so it was warning me. But the CPU temp was at about 128 F during the game, which is only about 3 F more than it in normal load....

somepeoplearebornleet

somepeoplearebornleet

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ahh nvidia 6600gt AGp 8x.
I recently went over to Mr. 80 celcius with that card.
:( I am lucky it did not start on fire and burn my apartment down ;)
Well anyways i don't think it will lock-up or crash since i was averaging that temperature and it was still functioning well.

P.S. My fan broke so :) My poor video card is :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i dont know about your temps as i cant do farenheit and cant remeber the conversion. 80 degrees whatever it was i wouldnt use the computer if it was the cpu it should have cut it with the thermal protection system, and if it didnt i would be wary of using that pc again thats enough to fry the cpu, if it was the card well im sorry you broke your 6600gt.