Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU or Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
If you have a system failure and have narrowed the problem down to either the CPU or the board, is there a way to decipher which part is bad without having an extra chip/board to try them on?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

There is no sure firer way of telling its always best to swap parts in or out to see witch is bad.

With a case speaker connected to the mobo remove the ram if the board beeps then the mobo is most likely good and its the cpu that is bad, if the board does not beep then in my experiance this usually indicates a bad board.

You can also try this with a video card.

This test is also considering you have minimum comonents installed and just trying to get a post.

Take a look at this to see if it will help at all.

Rick

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Here's a link to my original post about my problem:

http://www.geekstogo...own-t52168.html

When I power on, I do get a beep from speaker wired to the board, with or without RAM installed. The board power light is on. There is no visible damage to any components on the board.
I also do not see anything visibly wrong with the CPU, and the heatsink warms up after powered on for a few minutes.

I've also done the CMOS reset procedure with no change in results.

EDIT: As I mentioned, I don't have avaliable compatible parts to swap with, and I also don't have the money at this time to buy new parts or pay some "geek squad" or whatever they call themselves to drive out and check it, especially since they'll charge what I could get a new CPU with just for a house call.

I'm just trying to isolate the problem so I know what I need to replace when funds become avaliable. Somehow I get the feeling if I mail the BIOS chip back to the mfgr to be reprogrammed, I'll have lost 2-3 weeks and still have the same issues (explained in my original post).

Edited by SomeGuy05, 09 August 2005 - 10:49 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Some asus boards have post reporter so instead of getting the normal beeps when something has failed post you get that voice.

I to could not find anything on that particular error and I completely understand about not having the funds and spare parts laying around to swap things in and out.

However I don't think its the board because post reporter is operating and I also don't think its the cpu because the system does seem to power up.

I think its the VGA weather its onboard or a card so if you can some how barrow a card even if its a pci out of another computer to try and see if you can get a post.

The beep test I described eailer does not apply here because of the post reporter of this particular Asus board so you can't go by the removing the ram beep test.

Rick

SomeGuy05

SomeGuy05

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I think its the VGA weather its onboard or a card so if you can some how barrow a card even if its a pci out of another computer to try and see if you can get a post.

View Post

Is it possible for a faulty VGA to cause the PC not to boot up? Obviously I can't see if it's booting up or not visually with no display, but it doesn't appear to be booting up. When I power on, everything is normal for about 4-5 seconds (onboard beep, cpu sounds like it's working, 5.25 and floppy drives LED's flash, etc), but as soon as the post reporter starts looping, everything appears to stop any progress, although still powered.

Thanks for the info thus far.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes that is very possible, especially with what you describe as everytyhing powering up the the post stops and post reporter starts to loop it could be because the post has found no video

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
you probably already know this but the video card is shot.

try to remove it and then reinstall it making sure tight connection with mobo+monitor connector