Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wndows Me Large Hard Disk Support

• Please log in to reply

sevver

sevver

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I just installed a new hard drive in a computer, an older gateway proffessional 800 with a Windows Me Upgrade from 98se, I noticed from the format that it only recognised it as a 32 Gig drive. My question is, what steps do I need to take to correct this problem? This is a new one for me. I checked the site for gateway and the BIOS upgrade did not mention support for large hard disks.
I appreciate any help, and I will continue to search until then.
Thanks
Steve

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The problem ins't with ME, it supports drives up to 2 terabytes. The problem is that your computer likely has Award Modular Bios version 4.51pg, a bios very commn in older machines. There are basically two things you can do to overcome the limitations:

See if the motherboard or computer mfr. has a biois upgrade that will allow it to see the full drive. Be very careful making a bios upgrade, a wrong step can make your system unbootable.

Install drive overlay software on the boot device of your system. If the new drive is the boot device you may have the software included in the package. If you bought an OEM drive you may be able to download the software from the mfr. website.

Hope this helps.

sevver

sevver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
will look into this tomorrow. Thanks for the help. I saw a BIOS upgrade on the gateway site, and it did not say anything in it about supporting larger hard disks. But I will look into the drives manufacturers site and see what I can see.
Thanks
Steve

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

will look into this tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.  I saw a BIOS upgrade on the gateway site, and it did not say anything in it about supporting larger hard disks.  But I will look into the drives manufacturers site and see what I can see.
Thanks
Steve

View Post

Sometimes the motherboard may be made by a separate company and they will have a bios upgrade when the computer maker won't.

sevver

sevver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well, the Mainboard did not support drives larger than 32 Gig apparently. I recommended that they take back the 120 Gig Hard Drive and get a new refubished Emachine. All that it is needed for is Internet and Email and some Office apps, so it should be perfect.