Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP

• Please log in to reply

Sheri Nuwine

Sheri Nuwine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I was given a link to this site by somone online who was trying to help me get my pc srted out. Basically I am out of my depth with anything technical (though I use the internet a lot) but I will explain the problem as best I can in the hope that someone here can help me.

Something is wrong with my pc. Everytime I turn it on I get this ERROR START UP message that the BARGAINS.EXE file is linked to missing export ATL.DLL:38 what that means I have no idea. And whenever I try to reply to a post on the aol message boards I get the annoying Waol message "This programme has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down".

I managed to delete a Scan programme that appeared from nowhere but the pc is not right, it seems to have things trying to happen i.e. halfway through doing something else I got a Win fixer 2005 programme on Internet explorer come up, and then perform an illegal operation and be shut down!!!!!

A little while ago I emailed this message to myself and Sacc (whatever that is) performed an illegal operation and was shut down as well. This has been happening all night, this pc has apparently been performig illegal operations all night!!! All different programmes have been saying the same. I have proceeded to try and run an ad-aware programme that will not run. I couldn't restore something through using the system file checker because the location wasn't right. My friend reckons it is a trojan but if that is right what do I do, I tried to run the scan from here and guess what, that was an illegal operation too. I am on Windows 98 and aol 7. can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance if so.

Edited by Sheri Nuwine, 09 August 2005 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Murray

Sheri Nuwine

Sheri Nuwine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello again, thank you Murray for answering but I couldn't do what you suggested. Sometimes I cant even get on the Malware page but when I did, the links mostly wouldn't open for me (crashing my pc) and the one that did identified 28 infected files but wouldn't removed them unless I paid $29. Is there anything that will do that free of charge? I have looked at a lot of different programmes that scan for free, but does nothing remove what is identified? I have been up nearly all night trying to run things that will sort this out and nothig has worked.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Sheri:

In the Malware Forum, there is a set of instructions you should do prior to posting a HJT log..

Here is the direct link to that thread..

Follow their directions and then, once finished, post your HJT log in the Malware Forum..

One of the guru's there will help you as soon as they can!!

Murray