Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer unresponsive to print command.

• Please log in to reply

trg-s338

trg-s338

• Pip
  • 3 posts
While messing around trying to remove malware via the Control Panel>Add/Remove Program path, I inadvertently ended up in the Add>Remove Hardware section and accidentally removed the LPT-1 port. The printer therefore does not work anymore. In searching for ways to restore it on the net, some advise led me to check if the Windows 2000 operating system still reads the LPT-1 port and indeed the system indicates this is so but the printer is still dead to print commands. The operating system print window shows up conveying that printing is currently happening but the hardware does nothing. I've removed and reinstalled the Epson Stylus 660 disk successfully it would seem but still no printing goes on. Printer has power, clears the print head when the printer button is pushed. Emailing my print needs to myself and printing hard copies off of friend's computers is getting old. Any suggestions? Thanks.
---
trg-s338

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: LPT1 Printer does not print – EPSON 660
Date 10th AUG- 2005

Unless you have a LPT PCI Expansion Card, I do not think that you removed the [LPT1 PORT] – but rather you removed the [LPT1 PORT] – [Printer Device] which would be the EPSON 660. This would of course uninstall the Driver for your printer.

Now you said that you that you removed & reinstalled the EPSON 660 disk successfully – but what Driver did you install/reinstall?? The one on your Printer CD may be for WIN-98 not for WIN-2K – (Profile says that your OS is WIN-2K??) – (Did you update OS from WIN-98 to WIN-2K?)

Go to [DEVICE MANAGER] – Expand [PORTS – (COM & LPT1)]
Select [LPT1 PORT] – and Double Left Click – Pick [DRIVERS] Tab and Click On: [UPDATE DRIVER] Button – then follow instructions and select WIN-2K Driver for EPSON 660 Stylus Printer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This should get your printer to function again – but if it still is not, then see if it selected & that is ONLINE.

Go to [PRINTERS] Folder:
[START] > [SETTINGS] > Left Click [PRINTERS]

1 - Verify Epson 660 is Checked for default printer & (IS NOT GREYED OUT)
2 – Right Click EPSON 660 to pull down menu:
A- Verify [DEFAULT] IS CHECKED
B- Verify [USE OFFLINE] IS NOT CHECKED
C- Left Click [PROPERTIES]
(1) Click [PORTS] Tab – Verify [LPT1] IS CHECKED

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If the printer is still not printing – Check your printer manual and see what BIOS Setting is required for EPSON STYLUS 660 – set BIOS according to manual – (May be on Printer Installation CD)
1 – SPP
2 – EPP – or (BIDIRECTIONAL)
3 – ECP
4 – EPP + ECP
This setting will be under [ADVANCED] > [INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS] > [PARALLEL PORT MODE].

If it still is not working – Check to see if there is a [OFF LINE] Switch/Mode and that the cable is properly connected at Printer & at Computer.

Jack123

trg-s338

trg-s338

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info. I will follow your instructions and see if I can get the printer back online. Greatly appreciate the help!
---
trg-s338