Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing XP on Sata drive

• Please log in to reply

Grimmeth

Grimmeth

• Pip
  • 5 posts
First post, guess I should say hello to everyone :tazz:

I'm not sure if this should go in this forum or the bulding a computer forum but still...

I've recently built a new system (specs below) and, having come to install Windows XP (a full licensed version) with service pack 1. However, it hits the point where I press enter to begin installing XP it simply returns the error that there is no hard drive present. However, the post recognises the HDD.

I've tried using Asus EZ flash to flash the system Bios to the latest version - but no change to the HDD problem, I've also tried running Maxtor Maxblast 4 to recgonise the drive, but while it can recognise and partition the drive, windows still doesn't. All conections have also been double checked and I'm definitely using the standard SATA connections, not the RAID ones.

I'm using:

Asus AV8 Delux Motherboard
Athlon64 Winchester 3200
Maxtor Diamondmax 200g SATA drive
1gb 3200 Crucial memory

I can post any other details if they are needed, but it may take me a little while to find the info as I am not currently at home.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. You need to put the SATA drivers on a floppy disk. During windows install, you will be prompted to install 3rd party drivers by pressing F6. At that point, press f6 and insert the floppy into drive a and load the drivers.

Here is a good link for information on SATA, a tutorial
http://www.omnicast....build/SATA.html

Grimmeth

Grimmeth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've tried that, and it's still not recognising the drives (Tried getting drivers from the Asus website as well as the CD that came with the mobo), however, I decided earlier to try and cheat a little, and attempt to set it up as a one disk Raid array, it seems to have recognised the disks and is starting a format now, not sure if it'll let me get all the way through installation though, I'll keep you posted.

I miss IDE drives, they were so much easier :tazz: If not a little slow.

Grimmeth

Grimmeth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATENESS

Ok, unsurprisingly that last idea didn't work, i knew it was a long shot, but I'm kind of at the end of my tether.
I don't seem to be able to find any SATA drivers anywhere that work, the ones on the ASUS site don't seem to give me any joy, and all the motherboard documentation just seems geared towards setting up RAID configurations.

FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK, I've looked at the specs for your A8V Deluxe motherboard.

You have two options for SATA on your board:

On chip: the SATA is integrated into your VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset
or
On Board: the SATA is provided by (in your case) a Promise 20378 chip

Examine the layout diagram or user's manual to make sure you are plugged into the correct set of ports. If you are not plugged in correctly, plug the SATA cable into the correct port on your motherboard (that is, the primary one. It should say "SATA 1" but it might say "SATA 0." These would be rointed right on the board.)

1. Open your BIOS. I believe your BIOS is from AMI (American Megatrends Inc.) and I am not sure how to access from POST screen.
2. Find the option that discusses SATA ports and enable them as IDE PRIMARY AND IDE SECONDARY somehow and make sure they are not set to RAID.
This should disable the primary IDE connector on the motherboard.
3. While you're there you should just disable any other functions that you don't want such as the ON BOARD SATA AND RAID functions... on board audio (if you are using a soundblaster card,) etc.
4. Save and exit the BIOS

Turn the computer off.

If anything (like CD-ROM drives) are plugged into the primary IDE connector on the motherboard, then move that cable tot he secondary IDE connector.

Turn on the computer and open BIOS again.

1. Ensure that the BIOS is reading all of your drives correctly.
2. Ensure that the boot order for the devices is something like this: CD-ROM, Floppy Drive, Hard Drive...
3. Ensure that everything we already have discussed is done.
4. save, exit, reboot.

Now try everything.

Hope it helps. I have no idea what AMI's menu options loo like so I'm winging it off of Award's settings.

Grimmeth

Grimmeth

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Aha! Finally managed to find it! For some reason the driver I needed is labelled Via RAID, even though I'm only installing one drive with no kind of RAID setup in sight, strange that...
Thanks for the help though guys, you gave me some ideas of the right places to look :tazz:
Maybe I'll be able to help people out some in the future?

johnnylung

johnnylung

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hello there...

i need help. my problem is similar to grimmeth's, only it's worst. i bought acer travelmate 6291 w/o OS, tried to install XP-SP2 but failed. it's been two weeks, i tried to find driver for the sata harddisk but no luck... not acer nor hitachi has the driver

heeelp... it's frustrating...