Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

GerdyC

GerdyC

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
The other day i was moving my PC from one room to another. I unattached all the cables and wires from the back of the PC then moved it. When i reattached everything and turned it on i had a problem. It says please insert a boot diskette into the drive and hit enter. I am unable to start it in safe mode as it will not let me. Could someone please help me out with this problem?? :tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Open the cover and reseat all the cables, especially to the drives. Just push them back in firmly but evenly.

GerdyC

GerdyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Tried reseated all the cables especially to all the drives and still gettin the same message "insert boot diskette into drive A and press any key" is there any other way of fixing this problem?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
insert boot diskette into drive A. Check the boot priorities in your bios.

GerdyC

GerdyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
i dont have a boot disk is there any other way of fixing this problem?

GerdyC

GerdyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I inserted my xp boot cd into the drive and began the installation process. Once the first part of the installation was sucessfully completed the computer rebooted. After this the installation process began all over again. It keeps doing this all the time can someone please help me???????????????????????? :tazz:

Psych

Psych

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I don't want to seem condescending here, but this may be a simple fix. I had a quick look on Google and found one point raised in an install guide for XP.

"When you see the "Press any Key to Reboot" do not Press any Key. If your PC boots from CD, remove the CD before you reboot."

So it may be a simple case of taking the CD out of the drive before you reboot.

GerdyC

GerdyC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Tired removing the cd before the computer reboots but still the same thing happens the comptuer is still telling me to insert a boot disk into the drive??I SERIOULSY NEED HELP AS I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING NOW!!!

Psych

Psych

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Another option - the disk you've been putting in the drive is a Windows installation disk, correct? Instead of this, you could try using a boot disk. I know - you don't have one...
If you're on XP Home, try this link:
http://www.softwarep.../winxpboot.html

Or you could try:
http://www.answersth...s_bootdisks.htm

Apart from that, I'm afraid I'm out. If you still have problems I'm afraid we'll need someone else to help out on this. Post back and I'll see if I can get someone's attention for you. Sorry I can't help more.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Disconnect the floppy drive then set your boot order in bios to cd 1st and hdd 2nd, don't forget to save when you exit.

Then put in your XP cd and try and load windows, my thinking here is the floppy drive is bad and the system thinks there is a disk in it and tries to boot from the floppy instead of the hdd.

Rick