Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound distorted on XP PRO

• Please log in to reply

balllian

balllian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have disabled the soundman using the MSconfig. and the deleted this from the prefetch folder so this app will no longer be looked to be started when starting my pc.

The sound is alot better but does sound jittery when i'm opening another application up. Does my machine need more RAM or is something else conflicting with my new soundcard. Im trying to get my music to sound spot on, its almost there but not quite.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Anything on your machine can cause conflicts. It's mostly how your resources are being used. If you have a ton of things starting up, (which you do!), then your resources are being taxed... meaning ram.

Your prefetch folder loads every single thing you see there during startup. Not fully, mind you, but by definition... every thing in there is "partially" loaded into ram at startup. Do you need prefetch??? Absolutely NOT! I kill prefecth on every computer I build and support. My machines have no contents in the prefetch folder and apps actually load faster simply because there is more ram available because useless apps are not being prefetched!

I would go through all your start programs and decide on whether or not you actually need them. The HJT link I gave you will help define many of your start programs once you hit the submit button. Just go down the list and check out the definitions, then decide on whether or not you want to kill them.

More or less, everything in your tray can be killed. They are all "shortcuts" which by other means, you have access to via control panel, start menu, etc. They don't need to be in the tray.

Also, if you check Task manager for the number of processes that are running, this will also give you a good idea just how much junk is running. My machine only has 19 processes running directly after start up.

Also, take a good look at your firewall/virus program (F-Secure Internet Security??) and make sure it's NOT scanning every single file every time the file opens or is being accessed. This will definitely slow things down... especially video and sound.

Also, going over you HJT log... what's all the messenger entries (018). I don't know what these are, but perhaps you do. They all belong to Logitech, but don't say what device they relate to. Why is Logitech dealing with messenger???

Truth be told, I'm not surprised that your sound sounds choppy. You have absolutely too much junk starting up and you need to dump some of it! :tazz:

balllian

balllian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have got a logitech keyboard and mouse. wont these need to be in the prefetch folder when opening xp??? i can delete alot of these off as u say. i think the logitech messenger is part of the webcam package. i think i will delete this from the startup using the msconfig.

Is it possible not to use the prefetch folder when opening. how can i do this??

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

i have got a logitech keyboard and mouse. wont these need to be in the prefetch folder when opening xp???

Nope. Do this... delete all the contents of the Prefetch folder... DO NOT DELETE THE FOLDER ITSELF! Then... restart your computer. You'll see that all the contents of the prefetch folder are quite useless as your computer will start up just fine.

Is it possible not to use the prefetch folder when opening. how can i do this??

This is done by editing a registry entry at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher] Disable value= 0

Do you know how to edit registry entries? It can be dangerous if you mess around in there too much.

balllian

balllian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i have edited these before. With regards the enteries for the logitech messenger i was curious as they all appear to be the same. Is this right??

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

i have edited these before

What does this mean? :tazz:

With regards the enteries for the logitech messenger i was curious as they all appear to be the same. Is this right??

I really have no clue as I don't use any logitech anything. Check google or the logitech website.