Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell laptop loose screen

• Please log in to reply

mngllilly

mngllilly

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My 2 year old laptop's screen hinge is getting loose and a bit floppy. I've tried to tight some screws I found on the bottom of the screen but didn't help. Anyone have any ideas on how to tighten it or it this just a sign on old age? The screen doesn't fall down when it's half closed but there's a wide range of free movement when I move the screen. Thanks!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. If you don't see any screws that will tighten it, really not much you can do since it is probably made out of genuine plastic.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
you will need to remove the loptop screen cover to actually get to the screen itself to investigate what the problem is.

you didn't mention what make and model your loptop is so i can't take you thru the steps as all different models have different screw locations :tazz:

Edited by Stasiek, 13 August 2005 - 02:11 AM.

mngllilly

mngllilly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks
I have th Dell inspiron 8500.

ksnowbee

ksnowbee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 (out of warranty, of course), and I have this same problem. I've tried the screw tightening as well, and it does nothing. What can I do at this point, short of buying another laptop? Anyone know how to fix this?

rsw686

rsw686

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 (out of warranty, of course), and I have this same problem. I've tried the screw tightening as well, and it does nothing. What can I do at this point, short of buying another laptop? Anyone know how to fix this?

Refer to the Dell service manual for exact instructions.

http://support.dell....en/sm/index.htm

Make sure you have tightened the screws under the display bezel and hinge cover. You do not need to disconnect the display from the laptop. Just remove the bezel by carefully removing the rubber bumpers that cover the screws, they will remain sticky so you can replace them when your are done. Then remove the screws and carefully pry the bezel off. It helps to use your finger nail and carefully push the screen edge of the bezel away towards the edge of the laptop while lifting up. Once off you will find the hinge screws.

Now you need to tighten the bottom half the hinge screws. There is an indentation of the left side of the hinge cover (where the power button is) that you can use a screw driver to pry it up. Then tighten those hinge screws.

If tightening the screws does not fix the problem then your hinges are worn and will need to be replaced.

colster col

colster col

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi folks

What I found when I attempted to tighten the screws was that the original screws that were screwed into the hinge were not able to tighten at all. I swapped them with the ones holding the casing in place and that seemed to work.

Let's hope that this "fix" will hold for another 2 years, by which time I'm sure it'll be time to replace the laptop completely.

BTW, it's a Dell Inspiron 6000

hth

col

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
If this fails for you. Hinges themselves can be replaced. Some for quite cheap. My wifes laptop had the hinges go out and the screen would just flop backwards (hers were the most pricey hinges I had seen at $45/side most were $20/pr)