Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking My NX6600GT

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, iv got the MSI NX6600GT in my pc, i was a bit disappointed with its performance (when i could have got the ATI X800:() anyway im stuck with it till i flog it.

Anyway, i want to overclock it but im scared incase i fry it, i have only ever over clocked a processor and thats safe because too much and the computer cuts its self out.

I have the Dynamic Overclocking Tool, how far should i push the GT?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not too much it will soon be apparent when you have pushed it too far. The GT is allready high clocked.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Setting the Core clock and memory clock frequencies at 25Mhz higher wont hurt it. Make shure you have sufficient cooling in your case. Try it in 5Mhz intervals, meaning up the core clock and memory by 5Mhz each time and test it out to see if its stable. (this is to be on the safe side) Try it and see if you can get up to 25 Mhz more on the core clock and memory. At that speed it shouldnt hurt the card but if you get more brave its totaly up to you dont be stupid and fry your card. If the card gets to hot bring down the overclock. I wouldnt go any higher than i said unless your experienced. 20 Mhz higher on the core clock and memory clock is safe.

:tazz:

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
iv clocked it up to the max it was stable to (i wasnt sure what went too far but the menu on BF vietnam was flickering so i went down 5 on everything and enjoyed a game).

---Results---

Core 2D 300Mhz --> 325Mhz
Core 3D 500Mhz --> 550Mhz
Memory clock 900Mhz --> 1125Mhz

Ill try a bit more tweaking when i know i have a boxed ATI waiting to go in when the GT dies, i wasnt interested in Overclocking untill today:)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most new cards and software wont let you fry the card so you are pretty safe.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL you can really mess it up if you overclock it a little too much and the heat keeps on rising and doesnt dissipate the heat correctly.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can but if the card is working properly its very hard to do that card is designed to stop you from doing it. They have the same thermal protections your motherboard has.