Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Security Password

• Please log in to reply

Uncool_ellie

Uncool_ellie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I want to set up a password for my belkin router. I tried through their website but it just stopped my computer from connecting to the router. I had to disable the WEP stuff etc. Does anyone know how I can set up a password to stop my pikey neighbour from accessing my internet connection? I also need to set it up on my laptop too and any other computers that come into my house (if you could provide some info on that too :tazz: )

I tries searching and searching but its no good. Nothing seems to give the right info. So heres looking at you! Also is there any way that I can actually physically see who is using my connection...

Uncool Ellie (not a master yet!)

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Not sure why you want to "tried through their website but it just stopped my computer from connecting to the router". Can you access the router by using the router IP?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Does anyone know how I can set up a password to stop my pikey neighbour from accessing my internet connection?

View Post

hahahahaha pikey neighbor ahahahah.... offer him a carravan.. maybe in perriwinkle blue.. (sorry just thought it was funny...needed a laugh)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are both machines connected wirelessly? if they are you enable "that wep stuff" on the router then set up your wireless connections to use that "wep stuff"

Uncool_ellie

Uncool_ellie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yer thats what I meant by using the website thingmebob. I tried to set a security password and it basically disconnected this computer and I had to reset the router and remove any hint of wireless security on the comp.

I couldnt enable the WEP on my desktop to coincide with the apparant password on the router IP. They were two different password types... the router ip wanted just a password and the settings on my desktop wanted a 9/13 character password. Which I didn't set/have....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the wep key should be a 9 - 13 digit hex number....