Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

lollabee

lollabee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can't update xp home.

Can't check automatic update under system. Also, can't uncheck the turn off automatoc update. Both are dim or greyed out.

When I go to microsoft's update webpage it hangs on "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website…".

I have a valid version of xp home.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

When you go to the update site, there is a pop-up requiring you to install an special ActiveX control that will check your system for a legal install of Windows..

If all is good, you get to go to the updates page.. If it isn't, you get booted..

Are you/have you got this ActiveX request or do you have a pop-up blocker installed??

Murray

lollabee

lollabee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Murray,
Success.
I checked on any pop-up blocker software I may be running. I went to update page to copy the active x info - lo and behold I was directed to the next page and able to download updates.

Thanks for all your help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Not a problem.. Glad I was able to help !! :tazz:

Murray

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Can't update xp home.

Can't check automatic update under system. Also, can't uncheck the turn off automatoc update. Both are dim or greyed out.

When I go to microsoft's update webpage it hangs on "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website…".

I have a valid version of xp home.

View Post

Wen you say that it hangs, let it for a bit... it might come right. This happens with some of my mates comptuers as well