Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ghost Solution Suite

• Please log in to reply

Anne

Anne

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
We have a very small network - 1 server and 15 clients. I was asked to Ghost each of the client computers. I have been aware of Ghost but am not familiar with it, so I downloaded the program, set up the Ghost Console, and have pushed the client program to each of the computers.

Before I make an image of these computers, I have some questions about where the images should be stored on the server. We have a Dell PowerEdge 2500 running W2K Server, 6 hard drives in a RAID 5. I downloaded the Ghost program onto the D drive and created a Ghost Images folder on the E drive because it still has 44.8GB free space. I have been reading the implementation guide for Ghost and have been trying to set up a plan for creating the images, but I need to make sure that this is the best place to store the images, or would it be better to put them on CD's? I took networking classes in 2001 and didn't get to start using it in my job until the last year. I'm pretty fuzzy on some of this stuff and need some reassurance that I'm doing the right thing, so your expertise would be very much appreciated.

Also, I'm having to figure out how to use the features of Ghost on my own. I don't believe we would need to reimage on a regular basis because data files are kept on the Server and we don't do a lot of application changes or additions. I would just reimage when a change has been made to a particular computer. Am I thinking right here?

One last thing (I hope) - I do a tape backup on the Server every night. I know that the RAID 5 set up will protect the Server for hardware and I can recover data from the tape backup. Does this look like we are fairly well protected? We use ISA and SAV CE9 and have never had a virus or trojan problem (knock on wood). I read through a lot of the posts here and elsewhere and sometimes it gets a little too technical for me to understand.

I hope I posted this in the correct forum. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some guidance.

Anne

Advertisements