Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound

• Please log in to reply

ewhite28

ewhite28

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
I have no sound in xp but all other programs are OK.
I have done the sound thing in the control panel and windows sounds are there and I hear them. :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you "hear" the sound, how can you have no sound? :tazz:

Can you explain a little more about what the problem is? Do only certain applications have no sound? When you play a CD do you have any sound?

Edited by makai, 10 August 2005 - 01:07 PM.

ewhite28

ewhite28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I only have :tazz: no sound in windows at start up etc,but all of my other programs that have sound work like normal.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Open Control Panel->Sound and Audio Device Properties.
In the Sound and Audio Device Properties window, click on the Sounds Tab.
Open the Sound Scheme combo-box and select Windows Default.
Now Scroll down in the Program Events list-box to Start Windows and click on it.
Check if the Sounds field is Windows XP Startup.wav.

ewhite28

ewhite28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes I had all ready tryed that and the sound all work when you press the preview button. But will not work when I do a real start up

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go here, scroll down to #211... right-click on the line and choose "save target as", then save the file to your desktop. Double-click on the file you downloaded and confirm yes to the prompts. Restart your computer and see if your sound problems are fixed.

ewhite28

ewhite28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did the download, restarted with but no windows sound, went to control, sounds and windows previews work there and other program sounds work OK still :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What happens if you create a new profile and log into it... do you have sound when windows starts?

Edited by makai, 10 August 2005 - 07:07 PM.

ewhite28

ewhite28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No I do not.

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Did you check what audio device is the default...If you have onboard sound and a soundcard too then maybe windows is using the the one you don't have your speakers plugged in to.

I only mention this because it is possible that software proggies may tend to code their programs so that they test a number of ports to get a rsponse and if they do then that's the port they send the sound to.

Windows (AFAIK) doesn't test ports once installed (unlesss of course doing a major upgrade...), it just uses whatever driver you have allocated to use for that device.

Just something to think about.

Edited by yardguard, 15 August 2005 - 07:52 PM.

somepeoplearebornleet

somepeoplearebornleet

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Or maybe you just pressed mute....

ewhite28

ewhite28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Did you check what audio device is the default...If you have onboard sound and a soundcard too then maybe windows is using the the one you don't have your speakers plugged in to.

I only mention this because it is possible that software proggies may tend to code their programs so that they test a number of ports to get a rsponse and if they do then that's the port they send the sound to.

Windows (AFAIK) doesn't test ports once installed (unlesss of course doing a major upgrade...), it just uses whatever driver you have allocated to use for that device.

Just something to think about.

View Post

I will look into and work on you idea.
Thanks