Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD+RW will not read or write

• Please log in to reply

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
before trying the dvdrom in your daughter's PC(a good idea), please try the suggestion in post #14.

Advertisements

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
i forgot to add that, i tried it and it is already enabled

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
if the dvd works in your daughter's PC, then there may be a driver or registry issue on your PC.

the following link was posted by austin_o in another thread this morning. it has instructions for removing filters and updating drivers.

microsoft link posted by austin o

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you i will try it and let you know the results.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
If their was a registry issue wouldn't it be fixed with a system restore?

I also tried a system restore and it didn't work.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
a system restore takes the PC back to a previous point in time. therefore, in this case, either the registry is not the problem, or the registry at therestore point is at fault.

before testing the dvdrom in your daughter's PC, let's try the update driver option using device manager. after updating the driver, see if the dvdrom is still listed as a cdrom. reboot the PC and recheck device manager.

if it is still listed as a cdrom there are a couple of ways to go. we can LOOK at the registry or try the dvd in your daughter's PC. since you are not comfortable handling the registry(perfectly understandable), it may be time to move the dvdrom to your daughter's PC.

hardware tips:
be sure to take electrostatic discharge precautions. avoid touching any open circuitry in the PC, especially on the motherboard.
if your IDE cable is gray with a red stripe, make sure the red stripe of the IDE cable is adjacent to the red wire on the 4-pin power cable.
if you connect the drive to the same IDE cable as the hard drive, set the master/slave jumper to slave. if the dvdrom is connected to the other IDE cable, make sure one device is set to master and the other is set to slave.

red stripe example

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
hello again,

Before i start messing with the registry i wanted to show you what I found in the error reporting to see if this could be one of the problems, these are the folllowing errors that happened.

7/27/2005 9:40 PM Application Error Faulting application hpztsb05.exe, version 2.128.0.0, faulting module nview.dll, version 6.14.10.5216, fault address 0x000321ab.

7/27/2005 9:39 PM Application Hang Hanging application HPSdpApp.exe, version 2.0.0.768, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

7/27/2005 9:39 PM Application Hang Hanging application BackWeb-137903.exe, version 0.0.0.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
below are some links for BackWeb-137903.exe. it looks like it should be removed.

http://www.neuber.co...137903.exe.html

http://www.iamnotage...inter2-392.html

http://www.bleepingc...3.exe-1975.html

http://castlecops.co...137903_exe.html

BackWeb-137903.exe is a program from HP which one site called spyware. and it is used for automatic updates. is this error on both PCs? this coincides with when the dvd started failing, but removing BackWeb-137903.exe most likely won't fix the dvd.

hold off on trying the dvd in the other PC, for now. I mistakenly confused posts from another thread where the dvd was listed as a cdrom and thought one of your PCs had that symptom. after rereading all of the posts here, that is not the case. it appears that both of your PCs might have the same problem. moving the dvd to the other PC would not help in that case.

let's look at the registry. it's ok to look. don't make any changes, yet. we are going to look for filters. the reason we are looking here is because burning software has been removed from at least one of the PCs(earlier post).

there are 2 versions of registry edit on XPs. one is the old win9x version, which has a good search tool. this is the one we will use. the newer version is used to make changes. we will only attempt to make changes if upper and lower filters are found.

to look at the registry:
Start>Run>cmd>regedit>edit>find>filter

it may find filters for other devices - we only are looking for those listed under DVD/CDROM. after the initial search for filter, press F3 to continue the search.

question on restore - did you restore to a point prior to Jul 27? have the drivers been removed and reinstalled since the restore? if not, you might try that before poking around the registry.

Edited by bdlt, 15 August 2005 - 05:09 AM.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I did the system restore back to 10 Jul, and still had the same problem.

I will look for the info in the registry tonight after I gety off work and let you know.

Thanx for the info on the backweb, I want to get rid of all the junk that HP puts on these computers anyway.

Thanx again
vikingsrule11

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
before going into the registry, there are a couple of other things we can try.

1. if you haven't already done so since the restore, uninstall/reinstall the dvd using device manager.

2. the PC does not have the usual symptoms for the fix below, but it wouldn't hurt to try it anyway. please uninstall the dvd first.

CDGONE

Advertisements

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I already tried the uninstall route it didnt work.

I'll try the cdgone to see if that will work

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hello, I tried the CDGone but that didn't work.

I am currently looking in the registry but i am not real sure what to look for

if your available could you let me know

vikingsrule11
standing by :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
to look at the registry:
Start>Run>cmd>regedit>edit>find>filter

we want to look at any upper filter and lower filter entries under dvd/cdrom. it's possible there are none. use the find command(above) to locate any filters.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I did the command you told me to and this is where it brought me. Is it the right place?

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
it looks like it - dvd/cdrom references start with '4'. can you tell if it is an upper filter or lower filter? we're just looking at this point - make no changes.