Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD+RW will not read or write

• Please log in to reply

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let me see if there's a nero expert out there.

here's something you might try for now - disable the digital audio setting for nero and see if that helps.

and have an mgd for me.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download, unzip, and run the following

This fix is for corrupted autoplay settings...that is not your problem, but it restores many cd/dvd settings to windows defaults and that is possibly where your issue is.

Please post back results.

Attached Files

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Gerryf,

I tried the auto fix you recomended but it did not work it kept saying the drive was malfunctioning. i attached a copy of the log

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2005-09-03 02:48:57]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [E:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
I'm not sure if anything can be done with the autofix.

the only thing I can come up with here is to try it in the other PC to see if it behaves the same in both computers.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't think it's much of a mystery any more-- I think you simply have a dvd-rom failure.

The two most common componants that fail on a PC are the cd-rom drives and Power supplies, in my experience.

The first, because it has the most moving parts moving in a complex way, plus the lasers seem to simply burn out.

I would say that is your issue.

If it were me, I'd do two things

First, (if you have not already done so) in device manager, right click the DVD-rom and choose uninstall, then reboot and let windows rededect it.

If it still fails, I'd pull the drive and insert it in another PC and see if it works there as a next step.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi again,

I moved the dvd over to my daughters computer and it worked perfectly. So it looks like the problem is somewhere in my computer. Here is just a guess but is there a certain .dll file or other file that is required for the drive to operate that could be missing in my computer. :tazz:

vikingsrule

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
here's a couple of things to do while the dvd drive is not installed in your PC.

go into device manager and uninstall the dvd drive, then restart the PC.
look in the registry for dvd references. see any?

another question - when new hardware was found on your daughter's PC, where were the drivers installed from(cd, floppy, folder on your daughter's pc, ...)?

Edited by bdlt, 04 September 2005 - 06:25 AM.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I uninstalled the dvd in the device manager and rebooted then checked the registry and it still had these keys in it. I think they are the same ones we checked when we were trying to delete the upper filters.

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0030
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0031
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0032

When I installed the drive in the other computer windows recognized it and all I had to do is check the "enable recording with this device" and it worked like a charm.

That's what I don't understand because I had all this done in my computer.

Thanx again
vikingsrule11

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
if you know for sure which ones are for the dvd, then delete them.

if it isn't clear - some/all could be for the cdrom.

can you look at the registry on your daughter's pc? it might give a clue if these entries are not present on her PC.

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

Just for your info these were the keys that were in my daughters computer.
not sure if they are for the cd or dvd.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
time for more research. I recall reading a topic solved by deleting control sets. we should be absolutely sure before we try this.

the numbering 0030, 0031, 0032 differs from the numbering on your daughter's PC 0001, 0002, 0003. it might be significant. research should tell.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
just curious---did you ver pull the drive and put it in a second machine as you said you were going to?

Also, did you try a cd cleaner (cd disk with little brushes on in? Or, barring that, a blast of air into the drive carriage?)

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Gerryf

Yes I pulled the dvd out and tried it in my other machine and it worked perfectly.

I am going to try and change the control sets and reinstall it.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

vikingsrule11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It's fixed :) I renamed the control sets to the following
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002

When I rebooted the system the following control sets showed up in addition to the ones above. :)
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0030
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0031
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0032

not sure what they are for but i'll leave it they way it is since it is now working.

I am having a problem with my cd player now but I need to troubleshoot it some more. I'll start a new thread if I need any assisstance with it.

BDLT Thanx for all the research and hours we spent on this thing it is greatly appreciated. If your ever in N.C. let me know so I can buy you some MGD's

Once again Pearson Pushed Off :)

VIKINGSRULE11 :tazz:

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Vikingsrule11,

Congrats on getting the dvd working. Great work on your part - from modifying the registry to moving hardware to another PC. I don't have the exact details in front of me, but the 0000, 0001, & 0002 registry references are used during bootup to load the drivers. Why the 003x references reappeared? - don't know why, yet.

Thanks for including details in your posts - it may help someone else with a similar problem.

I think I'll celebrate this evening with an MGD or 2. Enjoy the season.

bdlt