Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying New...

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Can any of the hard core Gamer's tell me what the best card is for watching downloaded Movies and RPG Gaming.

My Budget is $250.

My System is :
ASUSTek Mainboard A7V133
VIA KT133A Chipset
AMD Athlon @ 1007 MHz
Physical Memory 640Mb
Hard Disk ST3160023A (160Gb)
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
4 open PCI Slots
1 Open AGP Slot

Advertisements

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Any1 of these are good .....!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I wouldnt buy anything faster than the 6600 gt because i dont think your processor could keep up with it. 6600 gt is all you need

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
All the cards listed here are only 128MB... A buddy is telling me I need the 256MB cards... will my pc not run the 256Mb card

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
It will run a 256 mb card but i wouldnt, make shure its agp 4x/8x and your good to go. I wouldnt get a faster card than the 6600gt unless your buying a new pc.

They dont offer 256 mb versions of that card unless you want dual with sli mode and your motherboard doesnt support that.

Edited by jrm20, 10 August 2005 - 04:38 PM.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
With that processor... a 128mb 6600GT is in your best intrest. Even that might cause bottlenecking. You really ought to upgrade your CPU first, THEN go for a better card.

I reccommend at least an AMD64 3200+. Make sure you try and get one with a Venice core though.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Heres the dreaded question....

What should i do to upgrade my pc, so i can run a good card... I have a good job but im not rich!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Will my current pc run this card stably and good... found it cheap for only $149 comes with software CD, DVI-to-VGA adapter, HDTV-out breakout pod and S-video cable.

PNY Verto GeForce 6600 256MB DDR AGP Graphics Card
Model: VCG66256AP

* Powered by the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 graphics processing unit (GPU)

* 256MB DDR memory

* 8X AGP interface

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They make a 256MB 6600GT its still only got that 128MB interface which is the cards biggest downfall. I would say that unless you upgrade the rest then a 6600GT is too much but then again i know someone who has a slightly faster procesor but only has a 128megs of sdram and he got one and it made a bit of a difference but not what you would expect from a 6600GT was a complete waste of money mind you hes crazy so he doesnt mind he wasted it.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Heres the dreaded question....

What should i do to upgrade my pc, so i can run a good card... I have a good job but im not rich!

View Post

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103535

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
yeah with that 128 bit interface it acts like a 128MB card, thats why i dont call it a true 256mb lol

example my video card is 256mb and says its 256 bit interface.

Edited by jrm20, 10 August 2005 - 06:20 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
is that a 3.2Gb processor with 1Ghz Front side bus, and 512Kb L2 cache... not sure if im reading it right....

if so would that processor work with my motherboard, harddrive, and the rest of my listed hardware????

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
that processor will not fit in your motherboard, that cpu is new and has a totally different socket. Everything on your pc needs updating, you cant install new items on older boards they wont fit.

Your motherboard specs, i found is this:

Supports AMD® Thunderbird™ / Duron™ 550MHz ~ 1GHz CPU
3 x DIMM support for 1.5GB PC133/PC100/VCM133 SDRAM
266/200MHz Front Side Bus

It is no use upgrading you cant upgrade that machine.

Your at your cpu limit right now.
it supports up to pc 133 memory

The new motherboards standard for memory is pc3200 and on up.

Its time you bought a new pc. If your not ready then just buy a decent video card.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yup you need a new pc if you want to play new games, even with a 6600gt you vouldnt play new games because the rest of the computer is so low perfromance, although when i was looking on the link there i checked out the x800s and was shocked here the x800s are around the same price as the 6600gts but you pay more for them in the states. I would go with the processor metalive recomnded or the 3000+ if you need to save money a gig of ram and a nforce 4 motherboard and a good video card like a x800 or 6600gt if you cant get the x800, you could keep the hard drive thats about it.

Also if you are going to keep your system use cpu-z to check wether you have a 4x or 8x agp socket.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
i appreciate all the reccomendations fellas.... this pc was bought for $100 from a buddy, who said it was worth the money...but I think it's time to just break down and get the loan for the new alienware Machine...... I hate making payments... on a PC

Check this link out please and tell me if it's worth the money they are asking....

http://www.alienware...s/main_alx.aspx