Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hotmail - Wont work in IE

• Please log in to reply

MedIT

MedIT

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Got an issue here.... my CEO cannot login to hit hotmail account on his PC with IE. He cant login to any hotmail account on his PC for that matter. Firefox however will. I have done all the usual, spyware, viruses and SFC but the provlem still persisits. The error message is: The Microsoft Passport Network is unavailable from this site for one of the following reasons:
· This site may be experiencing a problem.

· The site may not be a member of the Passport Network.

You can:

· You can sign in or sign up at other sites on the Passport Network, or try again later at this site.

I am at a loss here, can anyone give me any ideas?

thanks

Advertisements

MedIT

MedIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh one more thing.... at the bottom where it shows the URL it goes to, it hits like 4-5 urls with long hash strings in them, it is a hotmail login URL though.

Thanks again

Avohir

Avohir

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,002 posts
is he using the Zone Alarm Firewall by any chance?

MedIT

MedIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
nope... no firewall at all. Xp firewall turned off.

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Did you try Clearing the Cache, History, Temp, Temporary Internet Files (In other words a Disk Cleanup)?

Also, did you try restoring IE settings to default and see if that helped?

MedIT

MedIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yep... first thing i tried, clearing cache, history, temp files and restoring default IE settings.

I even thought .NET might be the issue and removed it.

any other thoughts?

Thanks

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'll look into it.

welland

welland

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm actually experiencing a similar problem. Can he access all other websites or is it just hotmail? Since Fri. eve. I have been unable to access my hotmail account and many other sites as well. Also, any sites I am able to connect to take a long time loading. I've been doing some trouble shooting and I think it may be a browser hijacker. I also tried installing & using Firefox but, unfortunately, it hasn't been any better. :tazz:

MedIT

MedIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, he can hit all other webs that i know of. I will say that somtimes its slow but nothing consistant. I have not seen any slowness in firefox. Ive done a netstat -o and -a -n looking for possible trojans. I really dont think there is spyware or virus involved here.

MedIT

MedIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well..... more info.... I loged in as another user, a user that had never loged in before (me), we are on a domain.

IE worked fine.

I went back through his profile and cleared cache, cleared ssl, temp and history.

What am i missing?

Thanks

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Some networks, businesses won't let you log into yahoo, hotmail, etc. But you said you could log in, right?

MedIT

MedIT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well.... since i am the admin.... that isn't the case here!

I gave up and reloaded him while he's on vacation (an often occurance).

Problem solved!

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
YOu made me laugh this morning. Thanks.

doughboy0371

doughboy0371

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'd had this problem on my machine for what seemed like forever (had to use mozilla to look up my hotmail acct and a few other pages with).

Last night I found a thread on another site, someone mentioned installing Microsoft .NET Passport, and I installed it (and I had been blocking msn.com cookies, had to allow those), and Hotmail's working again!

I hope this'll help in the future, and sorry I didn't try looking a few days earlier, save ya from reinstalling :tazz:

Gregg

Edited by doughboy0371, 19 August 2005 - 09:44 PM.

Nikki F

Nikki F

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: HELP!!!

Everyone seems to be having problems with Hotmail at the moment and now that includes me. I have followed everyones advice...

Cleaning cache, history, temp, temporary internet files, disk clean up
restore IE settings

Microsoft .NET passport

and STILL no hotmail.

:) :) :)

Does anyone know if its hotmail thats got a problem or should i just slit my wrists now???