Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MS Works cannot open file

• Please log in to reply

jones082

jones082

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I really screwed up. I have been working on a book in Works, and have not backed up in awhile. I may have lost months of work due to my stupidity.
Months.

I am getting the message:

Works cannot open "C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\Desktop\book3.wps". The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt."

What I think happened is that I ran CleanUp while the book was inadvertently running in the tray. When I went to save the book, I got the message "not enough disk space." Yet, it did save. But now I can't open it and I am afraid I lost everything.

I don't know much. I rebooted and I tried a system restore.

Is there anything I can do? The work was important, and I have already cursed myself ten ways till Sunday. I really feel terrible and am in need of help.

Thank you,
jones

Advertisements

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I was desperately trying stuff, and found I can open the file with notepad! It looks like a lot of my text is still intact, and there are a lot of weird symbols and stuff.

Do you think there's hope of converting it back to a word processing format so I could save my tables and graphs and formatting?

It also seems like when I got the original 'not enough disk space' message, I saved the file three times...it seems like the original file is broken into parts.

I'm lost.

Edited by jones082, 11 August 2005 - 12:06 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
can you copy the original to another folder then open it

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Thanks, but I did try creating another folder and copying. Tried moving files to another folder and to desktop. I tried dragging file into an open Works blank doc. Tried opening works, then file...open...No go.

I guess I screwed up. I guess the files are corrupted (whatever that is) or something essential is missing.

There IS information there, in notepad, even if it is fragmented. There is also info in Wordpad, though it is all symbols, and unreadable.

If I could just decode it somehow.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
open the note pad / word pad save as then down the bottom does it give you the option to save as a works file?

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Unfortunately, no. Notepad offers .txt or all files; with the encoding options: ANSI, UNICODE, big endian, UTF-8. Wordpad offers RTF and MS Dos.