Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Where does my DUN reside?

• Please log in to reply

jadag

jadag

• Pip
  • 8 posts
;) Hi, I hope I am in the right forum for this question. (My O/S is Windows 98SE)

I have a small program called "MyRun" which allows me to launch a group of programs with one click. (e.g. I launch my calc.exe together with notepad.exe)

If I want to make a group, "MyRun" simply asks for the path to each program's exe file and then saves these paths in a *.mrn file. Clicking on the *.mrn file will launch all the programs in that group.

Here is my problem. :( I want to launch a small systray email monitor together with my Sprint.DUN dialup program.

However "MyRun" wants to know the path to sprint.dun. I can't find any file by that name when I search my HD! :)

If I drag a short cut to my desktop and enter the path as C:WINDOWS\DESKTOP\Sprint.lnk ... the program doesn't work. :tazz: It doesn't seem to like links only the originating file. But where is that :(

Can anyone suggest a solution?

For your interest, the freeware program "MyRun" is at;

http://ex-boroda.chat.ru/english.html

Advertisements

jadag

jadag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:ph34r: (Sigh) This topic has been canceled due to lack of interest ... :tazz:

BUT ... in the hopes that there is intelligent life "out there" :ph34r: ... this is what I have tried:

I have created batch files containing only one line. These are the various options I tried;

C:\Windows\Desktop\Sprint.DUN

rundll rnaui.dll,RnaDial Sprint.DUN

rundll rnaui.dll,RnaDial C:\Windows\Desktop\Sprint.DUN

... none of which worked. :)

However ... what I did find is that if I go to my Start Menu/Run and enter C:\Windows\Desktop\Sprint.DUN ... it will dial my ISP and connect!!!

Now ... what can I put in a batch file to represent the "run" command? :)

I have tried:

rundll.exe C:\Windows\Desktop\Sprint.DUN ... and
rundll32.exe C:\Windows\Desktop\Sprint.DUN

... neither of which worked (sigh) Any ideas? :)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Right click on the shortcut to the Sprint dialer and choose Properties. Then copy the target location into your clipboard and paste in into the MyRun file according to their instructions.

Edited by Tyger, 18 August 2005 - 09:35 PM.

jadag

jadag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tried that, it didn't work. The various command lines didn't know what Sprint.DUN was.

However I eventually figured out that "MyRun" needed to point to either an exe or batch file.

The problem was figuring out what to put in the batch file. After much trial-and-error, (and a lot of help from some techno-fans on various forums) I did the following;

1. I created a batch file with the following lines;

cd c:\windows\desktop
rundll rnaui.dll,RnaDial Sprint
... the extension DUN must be left off (I don't know why)

2. Clicking on this batch file opened a DOS window and launched the Windows dialer "Connect" box (which normally does not start dialing until the "Connect" button is pressed.)

3. I have always used a small systray program called "Rtvreco" (http://www.demon.co.uk/rtvsoft) which is an automatic "button-pusher" set to press the "Connect" button whenever the "Connect" box appears, therefore, dialing commenced without any input from me.

4. The dialing completed and the connection was made :tazz:

BUT

The Dos window remained open ... so I opened the "properties" menu on the DOS window and ticked of the box to "close on exit"
(an EXIT command in the last line of the batch file didn't work for some reason?)

Problem solved! :)

Thanks for your interest anyway

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Glad to hear you fixed it. they sure don't make it very easy, do they?