Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have no idea how this happen but it did!!! I can't even start up my computer. It loads up and then it says Close Explorer and the only chocie I have is to close the explorer and then when I do that, it doesn't start! Does anyone have any suggestion because Im dying!! I can't even start up my computer!!! Please someone help!!! :tazz:

Edited by tattoolover420469, 13 August 2005 - 02:33 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When did this start? Today?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Can you get to safe mode or dos prompt

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It started Monday and ever since Monday I haven't been able to get on my computer. No, I can not start in safe mode or the other!! It says the same thing then it does in normal mode.

Edited by tattoolover420469, 13 August 2005 - 02:33 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key, do you get options screen

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You need to find the Win98 floppy startup disk. If you can't find the disk, download a startup disk here and choose the Windows 98 OEM... save it to your desktop.

Once you get the file, put a blank floppy disc into the floppy drive, then double-click on the downloaded file. The program will run and you will hear it writing information to the floppy drive. Just let it go until it's completed. If you don't have a new floppy disk, you can use an old one, but anything on the disk will be erased so make sure you don't need that old floppy.

Once the floppy is all done, write "win98 start disk" on it.

Now put the disk into the broken computer's floppy drive and turn on the computer. I don't know if your computer is set up to boot from the floppy drive first, but lets hope so. If it doesn't let me know.

After the computer has started up, it will stop at the a: prompt. You will see this on the screen... a:\

You need to type in c: then hit enter... it should looks like this... a:\c:

Your computer will then display this... c:\

You need to type in scanreg /restore then hit enter... (make sure there is a space between the word scanreg and the forward slash)

After you type that in, you will see a restore listing. Choose a date "before" monday. and hit enter, or OK. The computer will try to restore itself and hopefully it will be successful.

When the restore program is finished, you will need to restart your computer. Pull the floppy disk out of the drive before you restart.

Let me know how it goes.

Edited by makai, 12 August 2005 - 05:39 AM.

tattoolover420469

tattoolover420469

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Makai, thank you once again!!! You are like a god to me!!!! If it wasn't for you, my computer would have no color and wouldn't be running!! And of course, I love you for it!! haha! So once again, thank you. You are a freaking genius when it comes to computers!!!! :tazz: You rock!!!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
tattoolover...

You know, one of these days we're not gonna to be so lucky! :cheers: What happened to mess it up this time? Did your brother do something again?? :) Tell him I said not to touch the machine!!! LOL!!! Just joking!!! :tazz: You take care, now. ;)

PS... now please get rid of that mad face... I don't like to see those things! :spoton:

Edited by makai, 12 August 2005 - 06:14 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
;) :) :tazz: :tazz: ;) :) :happy: