Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating - and second fan does not spin

• Please log in to reply

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi there.

I am writing this on a separate computer than the one that is having troubles. That one is right over there.

It suddenly became irritable: shutting itself off for no apparent reason. It would not reboot, so I took the panel off the computer (it's an AMD XP running windows XP) and found that my thermaltake 5 heatsink/fan combo was not spinning.

I aimed a small desk fan in there and cooled it off a bit before rebooting. With the desk fan cooling its insides, the computer seems to run fine.

However, I was reading another post on G2G and i saw that there may be some default setting in my bIOs that is overriding my heatsink's fan's function.

The computer is running at 61 degrees even with the desk fan (I learned that through the Everestt Home Edition ... man isn't that a sweet program).

I would appreciate any help available as this is the art director's computer and we are three days from deadline!

Thanks.
Curious George

Advertisements

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ah sorry that's the heat sink at 61 degrees © not the motherboard

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Right, well it could be that the fan is done they do sometimes just break. So you might try another fan on the heatsink, also have you checked that the fan was plugged in.

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the fast response!

yes it appears to be plugged in...

though it's tough to tell for sure w/o taking the fan off the heat sink.
No loose wires in any event.

Are new fans available at regular, rural American computer shops?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh i would imagine they would be available, but the fan should have a wire coming from it leading to a set of pins on the motherboard to power it.

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Aye, CPU Fans are relatively cheap and available at a lot of places. Also you can buy fans at any place online.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Your best bet would be to remove the fan and take it to the shop with you, this way you will get the proper size fan with the proper connector that goes to the motherboard.

This is not difficult, just be sure to first discharge static electricity from your body by touching a metal object like the computer case, then remove the wirer from the fan that connects to the motherboard and take note were its is removed from as it is very important that the new fan connects to the exact same place.

Then remove the four screws that attach the fan to the heatsink.

Replacement fans are cheap and I would first try this before doing anything else or trying to run the computer with a desk fan

Rick

curiousgeorge45678

curiousgeorge45678

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks guys.

I hope this is the solution... it certainly seems to make sense, as my art director was also reporting that her computer would crash when she was deep into Photoshop or Illustrator.

I appreciate the help from all of you!
George

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome and let us know how you make out,

One other note, make sure the heatsink is clean and free of dust, to clean use a can of compressed air to blow the dust out, this won't fix a broken fan but on a system that the fans work they may just need a good cleaning.

When using the compressed air avoid turning the can on its side as this will discharge liquid from the can, rather set the computer on the side of a table so you can raise and lower the direction of the can and still keep it upright.

Rick