Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM/Burner Probs

• Please log in to reply

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hey guys,

I thought I should just post here to see if anybody got any ideas or tips. At this point I believe that the 2 drives are pretty much dead or the socket to the motherboard is. Here is the problem....

Neither of the 2 CD-ROM Drives will show up in My Computer, nor the Device Manager, nor the BIOS.

The computer is running Windows XP Home Edition - SP2. Patches are all up-to-date.

Things I have tried:

- Checked to make sure everything was connected properly
- Checked BIOS to look of any trace, nothing
- Used TweakUI to make sure the drives weren't hidden, nothing
- Tried to Add New Hardware. Plugs & Play found nothing, tried to add it manually, nothing
- Went into the Registry and removed the "Lower Filters", nothing
- Bought a new IDE Cable and connected it to both drives, nothing
- Tested each drive and made sure the jumpers were properly set, nothing

I have thought and tried of a lot of things. Sadly since I am not from the area I can't take my friend's CD ROM Drives and test them on my computer to see if they are dead or not. They do have power, but will not show up.

If anybody has any comments, suggestions, anything at all. Please replied to this thread.

Edit: I should add, the computer is Spyware free & Virus free. Also noticed that this was the wrong place to post it :-\

Edited by LDG, 10 August 2005 - 04:02 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If the drives don't even show up in bios, then they won't show anywhere else. I'm sure you're aware of that by now! :tazz:

One thing you can try is to reset the bios. Shut down, remove the AC plug, then remove the motherboard battery, and leave it out for a minute or so. This should reset the bios back to default.

I know you said you replaced the IDE cable, but try swapping IDE channels. In fact, compleletly remove the IDE cable connecting the CD drives to the motherboard and connect your hard drive to that IDE channel and try booting up. If your computer boots, then at least you know the channel is operational. Of course, if you're using sata hard drives you won't be able to do that... unless you using IDE hard drives with sata adapters... in which case you could try it.

Another thing you could try is slave one of the CDroms to your hard drive IDE cable. Just make sure the jumpers are set right. This would tell you if the CDRoms are dead. Having 2 CD roms being dead is unlikely... especially if they seemed to die at the same time.

If none of the above works, I would tend to guess your motherboard is kaput... at least on that IDE channel!

Edited by makai, 10 August 2005 - 05:36 PM.