Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb not working

• Please log in to reply

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
are your settings in bios set to have usb enabled?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

are your settings in bios set to have usb enabled?

View Post

I have already asked this but as the usb controllers appear in device manager as working properly, I am assuming that they are enabled in the bios. In theory, if they were disabled in the bios, then they wouldn't show up in DM.

However, it may be worth double checking just in case..

collrest, i know you said earlier that you didn't know how to do this, so I'll try & talk you through it :
As your system is a Shuttle computer, which I am not familiar with, I have no idea if the bios is stripped down to minimal settings or not. Its also possible that your bios requires a non-standard keyboard character to access it (the standard one being the DEL key).

Power the system on & after about 2-3 seconds press the DEL key repeatedly. This should get you into the bios. If it doesn't, reboot & try again but try a different key. Try each of these keys until you gain access to the bios :
(F1, F2, ESC, F10, F12)

You may also notice a message near the bottom of the screen when you first power on, telling you which key to press to access the bios/setup.

Once in the bios, scan through all the settings until you find any relating to USB. Let me know what the settings are & what value each one is currently set to.
(EG USB Controller : enabled etc)
Quit the bios without saving any changes at this point & reboot

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Samm u there u hadnt reply in couple of days and really need to get this fix.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Samm u there u hadnt reply in couple of days and really need to get this fix.

View Post

Hi Collrest, yes I am here. I did reply to you yesterday just before your last post if you check, but I must admit, I didn't see the two posts you wrote before that until afterwards.

In my last post i asked you to check the bios settings etc. Since then however i have finally managed to find the manual for your motherboard, so I can give you much clearer instructions now :
1. Power on the system (or reboot) & as soon as the display comes up & system runs the RAM check, press the DEL key repeatedly. This will get you into the bios.
2.In the bios, do to the menu called 'Integrated peripherals' & check the following settings:
USB EHCI Controller : Enabled
OnChip USB Controller : Enabled
OnChip USB KBC Controller : Enabled

If any of these are disabled, enable them & save the changes. Then reboot the system normally. Check in device manager to see if anything has been added or changed under the USB section.

Reboot the system in Safe mode : once the POST test finishes (RAM check etc & drive detection) but just before windows starts to load, press the F8 key repeatedly. This should bring up the boot menu. Select Safe mode from the menu & press enter.

When booted to XP, go back into device manager & check the following things please:

1. Under the USB Controller section, let me know exactly what is listed there.

2.Look to see if you have an entry in DM called Other Devices. If so, let me know whats listed under it.

3. Look through the rest of device manager for any other entries pertaining to USB devices & tell me what they are, if it exists. (HP usb printers for example, often have there own entry at the bottom of DM, rather then in the USB section).

You won't have internet access in safe mode so afterwards reboot the system normally to get back online.

Also, do you have the CD that came with the Shuttle motherboard?

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i have the cd for the shuttle.... i install it already and tried it again but doesnt work

i will put the results in other post.

collrest

collrest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
omg im soo srry.......... i just figure wat wrong. im really.. i just went to the DM and check the tab for the usb when i check the property for Standard Enchanced PCI to USB port controller was showing no digital signer and everything else and thought it was weird and i click update devices and it actually found an update and everything start to work. i try my external hard drive and it work for like a long time!. srry for ur hard work for nothing :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad to hear you've fixed it. I was beginning to suspect a USB Controller driver issue - or at least, a USBv2 issue. Many of these controllers require an updated driver from microsoft or the motherboard manufacturer.