Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

biosinfo.inf mising

• Please log in to reply

conblue

conblue

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know this is long after the original post, but I just encountered the same problem and found a solution after a long, frustrating time...

I was trying to reformat my drive using the manufacturer's XP CD and the same error came up, "biosinfo.inf is missing or corrupt." From this forum and many others, I realized the solution is to use the Recovery Console to delete and replace the biosinfo.inf file. Basically I restarted my computer with the XP CD in the CD drive, then I pressed "R" for recovery console when that option became available. A choice came up and I entered "1" which took me to the C:\Windows prompt.

At that prompt, I typed "cd i386" and then I was in the C:\windows\i386 directory. The biosinfo.inf file is located there.
I deleted the file by typing "del biosinfo.inf"
Then I simply restarted the computer...and everything worked!! It was a wonderful feeling :whistling:

What I had originally tried, from instructions found on various forums like this one, was to copy biosinfo.inf from the XP CD into the C:\windows\i386 folder. I tried that, and it didn't work. I then tried copying the file from my dad's computer onto my USB flash drive, then from the flash drive onto my C:\ drive. Still no success. Even though I was copying a clean file, it still said it was missing or corrupt. But for some reason, deleting the file and NOT replacing it, and then letting the XP CD load a fresh version, seemed to work.

Hope this helps anyone in the future!

Advertisements