Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive not working... not booting

• Please log in to reply

janteck30

janteck30

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am having problems with my floopy Drive.... i cant boot from my floppy drive, the green light stays on consistenly after powering up... i tried switching around the FDD Cable, and while the light does not stay on.. it still not booting from the drive... :) :( :( :woot: :wub: :hug:

i going nuts :tazz: ;)

Edited by janteck30, 10 August 2005 - 05:26 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Its possible the cable is still incorrectly inserted, even though the light has gone off.

Is this floppy drive new or at least known to be good?
Did the floppy cable come with your motherboard?

Checking the connections:
You should notice that one edge of the floppy cable has a red stripe down it. You will also notice the one end of the floppy drive port on the motherboard is marked with a '1'. The red stripe on the cable must match up with the '1' on the motherboard.

If you look at the pins on the back of the floppy drive, you may see that there is a '1' (or a '34') marked at one end. Again, the red stripe must be at the end marked '1' (or at the opposite end to the '34').

If there are no numbers on the drive, then look for the missing pin - this will be the second pin in from one end. The end with the missing second pin is the end the red stripe must line up with.

janteck30

janteck30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
this is a computer that has been in use for a while, i did all you said and still nothing, i changed the Floppy drive and Cable again to one i know works now i am getting the following error
FDC Failure
Press F1 to resume

I am begining to think its the mother board that is the problem

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I am begining to think its the mother board that is the problem

View Post

Its always a possibility its the motherboard board but its still more likely to be something else thats the problem.

You said you have just tried a different cable & drive which you know work, right? Using those new parts, can you work through the checklist below please:

1. Check the pins on the floppy drive port on the mobo & the ones on the drive to make sure none of them are bent

2. Following my previous instructions, double check the cable connections at both ends to ensure they are correctly inserted

3. If the floppy cable has a total of 3 plugs on (1 to mobo, 2 for drives) and a twist in it at one end (see pic below), the plug on the end of the cable where the twist is must be the one fitted to the drive. This is the one marked 3.5" Drive A connector in the picture (you probably won't have the 5.25" connectors on yours so ignore them)
[attachment=2993:attachment]

4. Make sure the power connector is correctly attached to the drive

5. Go into the bios & check the following settings - you may not have all of these settings in your bios or they may be worded differently. If you're unsure about any, just ask :

First floppy drive 'A' : 3.5" 1.44MB
Drive B : none
Floppy 3 support : disabled

Swap Floppy drive : disabled
Boot up floppy seek : enabled
Onboard FDC or FDD controller : enabled

Boot priority/order/sequence : make sure Floppy drive is in first position

Save the changes in the bios & reboot system

Let me know the outcome.