Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive is not accessible

• Please log in to reply

boogieboy

boogieboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I have a Hard Drive that is new(200 gig Maxtor). I installed it in an external case that I bought, that is firewire. Did a norton ghost image that took about 2 hrs. to do. The next day I turn on my computer and tried to check the integrity of my ghost image and got this message: drive not accessible, file system is corrupt.

What would cause this to happen to a new hard drive. And will it happen again. should I take my drive back and get another. Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. When you plug in the firewire cable and power up the drive, can you navigate to it in my computer? Is the drive accessable there? Can you read from it and write to it there? If you go to my computer, right click manage, storage, disk management, does the drive show up there? If the drive is there and you can read/write it, the external drive is probably not the problem.

boogieboy

boogieboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is in my computer & I can read & write to it. The problem occurs when I shut down & reboot. When I try to access the firewire drive, is when I get the drive not accessible. The file system is corrupt. So, I reformat the drive & it works fine until I shut down and try to access it again. I'm wondering why it becomes unusable & corrupt in the shut down, start up process? Does it have something to do with FireWire?

:tazz: Boogieboy

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Could be. I use both USB2 and Firewire external drives. I don't have them powered up during boot up and shut down of my computer and never have a problem. Try doing that.