Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About:blank is killing me! [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Just as I expected, another clean one..

Here's another...let's look for rootkits now..

Download F-Secure Blacklight (blbeta.exe) to your desktop.
- Double click on blbeta.exe to run the program. Accept the user agreement.
- Leave "Scan through windows explorer" checked.
- Click Scan.
After the scan finishes, click on Next, then Exit.

BlackLight will create a log on your desktop with the name "fsbl-xxxxxxx.log". Please post that log.

Advertisements

peterparker510

peterparker510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok here's the log. if this makes sense, it seems as if the about:blank is getting more frequent. It popped up while I was checking this post.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
You forgot to paste the log...

peterparker510

peterparker510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
whoops sorry

08/21/05 13:28:37 [Info]: BlackLight Engine 1.0.23 initialized
08/21/05 13:28:37 [Info]: OS: 5.1 build 2600 (Service Pack 2)
08/21/05 13:28:37 [Note]: 4019 0
08/21/05 13:28:37 [Note]: 4019 1
08/21/05 13:28:39 [Note]: 4019 2
08/21/05 13:28:39 [Note]: 4019 3
08/21/05 13:28:39 [Note]: 4019 4
08/21/05 13:28:39 [Note]: 4005 0
08/21/05 13:28:54 [Note]: 4006 0
08/21/05 13:28:54 [Note]: 4011 2644
08/21/05 13:28:55 [Note]: FSRAW library version 1.7.1011
08/21/05 13:44:58 [Note]: 4007 0

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
So no files were found...

Hang in there..I will consult the experts and get back to you when I have something..

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Let's try turning off your Winferno(Secure IE) and see if that helps.. please exit that program..

and also can you explain more explicitly the about blank popups..are they a new IE window with about blank in the adress field? or are they Messenger popups?

Edited by Armodeluxe, 21 August 2005 - 05:15 PM.

peterparker510

peterparker510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
By exiting the program do you mean getting rid of it? I haven't done anything to it so far. I tried to see if there was a way to shut it off but I had no luck. In answer to your question, About:Blank appears in the address bar, it also appears in teh blue bar at the top of the window. If I try to close it, it refuses to close until a window pops up that says interent explorer encountered a problem and needs to close, then it asks if i want to send a report or not, when i click no, everything i was working on disappears and i'm back to my desktop. To further clarify, about:blank will appear every time I close a window. sometimes it stays about blank for a brief second and the window closes, other times it lingers until it fills the full screen and I have the problem mentioned above. This thing is out of control.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Yes I was talking about a way to shut winferno off. If there is no way, go ahead and uninstall it. If that doesn't help, you can reinstall it. We were wondering if there is a bug in that program causing this. At this point now we're fishing for a cure...

peterparker510

peterparker510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
About:Blank is still there. How do I reinstall that Winferno software? I liked using it. Should I maybe try running the scans again? Spybot adaware etc? I'm ready to throw this pc out the window. :tazz:

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
You can contact Winferno here, contact them with your history and you should be able to reinstall it.

http://www.winferno.com/support.aspx

Let's run the Sytem File Checker on your computer and see if it finds any errors and fixes it..

We are going to run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please rehide the protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Check" Hide protected operating system files.

Also, run this online scan..Let's see if Panda can find anything..once it's done save the results and post them here..

http://www.pandasoft...com/activescan/

Let's see how this goes..

Advertisements

peterparker510

peterparker510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ok here's the latest. After doing what you asked the windows update folder is completely empty, Nothing seems to have changed, and the panda scan will nto download when clicked on no matter what I do. This is brutal

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Ok, in IE go to Tools > Reset Web Settings

Then Tools > Windows Update and apply all updates available

Then try Panda again..

peterparker510

peterparker510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Panda still isn;t working. I checked my java to make sure it was still there and it is, but for some reason when i click on panda's scan the bottom of the screen says java: and a couple of numbers and then goes to a screen that says error, does nto recognize server.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Ok, you are not the first person to get that error and I haven't seen a solution to it yet. On some computers Panda scan gives that error.

Meanwhile, I made some research and found this:

http://inetexplorer..../answers/4.html

See the screenshot on that page. Next time when you get the error reporting box, please click on that "click here" and post that information.

peterparker510

peterparker510

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
ok, here's the error report info

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 04310c50

hopefully this helps