Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problem connection using AOL with dialup

• Please log in to reply

Madhukar

Madhukar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
when ever I try connecting to AOL I get the error Message 46 npqe. I am on windows xp AOL 9.0 security edition, dial up connection (internal Modem). no firewall and windows xp firewall is turned off. PLz help.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Problem connection using AOL with dialup
Date: 12 AUG- 2005
Poster Madhukar

Hello & welcome

In order to start a Game Plan – will need some more System information & Modem information:
(1) How long have you had this computer?
(2) What Type – Laptop – Desktop – Tower?
(3) What MFG & Model #?
(4) What motherboard & Model #?
(5) Is Win2K-XP installed originally on PC or is this an update from Win9X
(6) What Service Pack is installed
(7) Were you ever able to connect to AOL?
(8) How long have you used AOL before problem began?
(9) Did Modem ever work?
(10) Is Modem part of motherboard? Or is it a PCI card?
(11) What COM PORT? – What IRQ? -
(12) Is modem part of original equipment? – A replacement? or updated?
(13) Who installed? When installed?
(14) How long have you had problem?
(15) How are you getting Online now?
(16) Did you have any electrical storms just prior to Modem problem?

Technical information on – Operating System – Service Pack – Motherboard – can be found in:
[SYSTEM SUMMARY] Folder – and Modem info can be found in [MODEM] Folder - which can be found by:
1 Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Left Click [Manage] on Dropdown Menu
2 Expand [SYSTEM TOOLS]
3 Expand [SYSTEM INFORMATION] > Left Click [SYSTEM SUMMARY] – Record data -
4 Expand [HARDWARE RESOURCES] > Left Click [CONFLICTS / SHARING] Folder
5 Expand (COMPONENTS] > Left Click [MODEM] – Record data –
6 Left Click [DEVICE MANAGER] >Expand [MODEMS] Double Left Click [MODEMS]
7 Record Modem & Driver info
8 Any Yellow Warning Signs/Messages?

Possible problems could be:
1 Modem Installation
2 Modem Driver Update
3 Modem conflict
4 Damaged Modem
5 Phone Line Connection
6 Connectivity Problem
7 Modem settings
8 Dialing setup
9 Operating System & Modem compatibility/support

Sorry for all the questions – but they generally end getting asked – but only 1 at a time.
Jack123

Gleek

Gleek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ERROR CODE 46-NPQE: This is an AOL connectivity code. This repair was simple for me and worked well. Go to add/remove programs, select AOL Connectivity, change/remove, then select repair, make sure you are closed out of AOL software before starting.

shihtzu603

shihtzu603

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[font=Tahoma]

Hello Everyone, :whistling:

I am new here so if I sound strange don't think I am. This is the first time I have ever used Geeks to Go Forums. I am trying to install AOL 9.0 Security Edition onto a computer that used to run a lan connection. The Lan settings have been deleted and AOL has been installed on this computer. I first came up with the error message 44-YBZR. I couldn't figure out what that was. I switched modems thinking that may be the problem, but nothing changed other than the error message. Which is now 46-NPQE. I read the posting to this about running the repair of AOL connectivity software in Add/Remove programs. I tried that and it still doesn't work. Is there anything else I can do? While I was trying to troubleshoot this I had my son look up the error message. That is how I found out what it was. My next step if I can't figure this out is to toss the computer out the window. Thanks for any ideas you have. The cpu is an AP 505n, about 5 years old. It was a Windows ME, but we upgraded to Windows XP. We are giving this to a friend because he needs a faster computer and my husband just bought a new Dell B110.

caution2

caution2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I found a strange solution to this. Don't know if it will help you, but it appears 9.0 may require a firewall to operate properly. I thought since it was titled "Security Edition" it would automatically include the firewall, but that was not the case with my installation.

AOL told me to contact my computer manufacturer because they were the problem. Of course, I didn't believe that! I read the earlier post about repairing AOL Connectivity. That didn't work for me, so after uninstalling and reinstalling AOL half a dozen times, I decided to try and reinstall the AOL Connectivity. I couldn't find this anywhere except in beta downloads. It didn't fix the problem. I reverted back to 9.0 optimized but that didn't fix the problem either. Then I remembered that immediately after the first installation I had received an error message stating "an unknown program" was trying to start AOL. The Link to "details" only tells you to make sure no firewall is blocking and that the cords are properly plugged in. Exasperated, I decided to reinstall the Zone Alarm firewall (which AOL told me I had to remove) so I could find out what this "unknown program" was. I went through all the motions, and the only program trying to do anything was AOL. But guess what? I was able to log on, no problem. Then I turned off Zone Alarm firewall and I am back to where I was - can't log on, error 46-NPQE! I have tried this at least 10 times. Without Zone Alarm firewall, I cannot log into AOL. With the firewall I log in with no problems.

While waiting for the dialup, I looked at the login screen, and at the bottom it shows no firewall detected. This got me to thinking that maybe this security edition is designed to block internet access if no firewall is on. It doesn't make much sense that you would need one and it doesn't get included with installation, but all I can tell you is that it worked for me. I am still debating whether to download AOL's firewall or just leave well enough alone. Fortunately, I am doing this for a friend. I would never use AOL.

Edited by caution2, 22 April 2007 - 10:04 AM.

Oktet

Oktet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey, caution2, i was wondering did you ever have any messages with AOL stating something like:, "No dial tone"
and then the error message 44-YBZR.

Because I am starting to wonder if installing a firewall would remedy this like you did.

I already tried all the AOL features to automatically fix the problem, but I still get the same error message (44-YBZR), after AOL tells me "No dial tone."

I really hate dial up with a passion, except as a backup, but this is going to be my last computer to fix, but the person that gave me this computer to fix argues that there is no DSL or Cable in the boondocks and that Windows Me is the best OS, even though I am sure Linux will do a excellent job; however, I don't want to become the guys tech support for Linux, just don't have the time, I would rather learn some new technology than tinker with old technologies.

The modem is working you can hear it dial out, but I don't here the sh-shheeee-sh-shheeee sounds; additionally I already checked the TCP/IP settings and yes the modem is bound to TCP/IP and according to the device manager everything is working and there are no conflicts other than the one's listed above.

Doobieus

Doobieus

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
shihtzu603,

46-NPQE yes it is a connectivity issue code, however it's one of the Multiple issue codes from AOL.

What I need to know from you is:

What version of AOL:
How many versions of AOL you have installed currently:

Usually the case with dial up especially since you got a new modem. You need AOL to detect it.

If you have 9.0 optimized or security you should be able to go onto the "Sign on" screen and see an option for "Connectivity" or "Setup" and follow the prompts.

It will detect your modem, after that you shouldn't have any problems. If you do go ahead and message me and I will assist as much as possible. I used to work for AOL tech, so most of these codes I still know the resolutions to.

Anyhow good luck and keep me updated I will assist the best that I can.

Doobieus

Doobieus

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Oktet,

Go ahead and try the steps listed in the prior posting of mine. It may just be the fact AOL cannot detect the modem for some reason. If you need any other help or have another AOL specific code pop up, go ahead and send me a message I'll be glad to help as best as I can.

Good luck.