Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NewMobo have Oem Widows xp no cd HELP!

• Please log in to reply

HelpMeForTheLoveof

HelpMeForTheLoveof

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a new mobo and i have a freaking Oem Windows Xp w/o a Cd. I have been reading in the forums about this and i can find out if any found a solution to this problem(activation want work if you reinstall Xp). I dont have a warranty with HP either. this blows please help.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Is it safe to assume you have an HP system then?? If so, how old is it?? HP just recently lost a class action suit and is being forced to supply proper Recovery/Restore cd's for their systems..

Suggest you contact them!!

Murray

HelpMeForTheLoveof

HelpMeForTheLoveof

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
im contacting them, but they keep dodging giving me a CD. is there another way.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Yep.. Buy a install cd..

Murray

rharris270

rharris270

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Even if HP will give you a recovery CD, that may only permit you to return the hard drive to its original software condition, losing all personal files, installed programs, and settings. Worse, OEM recovery CDs sometimes only work on specific OEM hardware. So, unless you got the new motherboard from HP, their recovery CD might refuse to install, because it senses a non-HP computer. Finally, even if the recovery CD functions, the drivers will likely be wrong for the motherboard, and you will get a blue screen of death. You really need an XP CD from which you can perform a "repair" installation of XP, and most recovery CDs will not do that fo you.

While you can negotiate with HP for months, the quickest solution is to buy a full retail version of XP. Note that if you happen to own a 98 or ME CD, you should be able to use the retail upgrade version of XP. Just have the 98 or ME CD handy when the XP installer asks about proof of a prior "qualifying" operating system.