Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant open Hijack This log File! [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CherylK

CherylK

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Has anyone else had this prolem?

Hi, this is my first post, so before I try to install any other programs per site instructions, I wanted to first try to save the HJT log file, but it automatically opens in Acrobat, and NOT notepad.

Error message: Acrobat cannot open Hijackthis.log because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been corrupted. (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

To create an Adobe PDF document, go to the source application. Then print the document to the Adobe Distiller Printer.

Initial problems: WInfixer 2005 popup

OS XP Pro
Installed:
Spybot
Adaware
AVG 7.0
Symantec Corp AV
Hijack This (from Download.com)

I ran Trend micro online scan, and emptied most of my Temp folder, and also deleted the temp internet files.

I wanted to post the Hijackthis log, but am unable to even copy it on a right click option, any help would be most appreciated.

I am trying to repair another PC via remote assistance, and system restore did not correct these problems.

I would also note, that the Outlook Express gives me an error when I try to open or delete an email, it wont even let me drag and drop into the delete folder.

Again, any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks
CFK

Advertisements

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Hi Cheryl,

Please click on My Computer.

At the top go to Tools > Folder Options

Scroll down on the list of extensions and highlight TXT

Now in the lower pane does it say:

Opens with Adobe Acrobat

If so, click on the Change button

In the window that opens if Notepad is not listed in the recommended programs click Browse and find Notepad, highlight it and click Ok.

That should do the trick. Then post the log and let me take a look at it..

Regards,

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.