Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page setup shuts down MS Word 2003

• Please log in to reply

fuadmyahya

fuadmyahya

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Setup: Windows XP (2 computers, one XP Pro, the other XP Home).

Every time I select File/Page Setup in Word 2003, the application and document shut down and automatically reopen. At that point, I quick save, then access Page Setup again. This time, it does not shut down. I go through this routine every time, without fail. It bothers me because it is time consuming to wait for it to shut down, then launch on its own, then do my page set up.

I have called Microsoft about this. They tried everything. Nothing worked. They said it had something to do with the Normal template getting corrupted. They suggested deleting it, then launching Word again. That did not solve the problem. If it is the Normal template, then there must be something there that is constantly corrupting it. Any clue what it might be?

Microsoft suggested it might be the printer driver (I use Dell 940 all in one). They suggested getting an updated driver, but there is no such thing. Dell has never moved beyond driver 1.0.0.0.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In an Office application, click help then detect and repair

fuadmyahya

fuadmyahya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am doing that right now. I will let you know how it comes out. Thanks.

fuadmyahya

fuadmyahya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, but no satisfactory outcome. The detect and repair process went smoothly and finished "successfully," but the exact same behavior continues.

As I recall, Microsoft had me uninstall Office 2003, reinstall it, delete my profile, and creat a new profile. None of these brought about any change. Any other suggestion or a clue as to what is causing this behavior?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the time and the inclination, remove Office, use the Windows Installer clean up tool, but only on the Office files

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;290301

Re-install Office, select complete installation, update it

http://office.micros...te/default.aspx