Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't read CD/DVD drives

• Please log in to reply

wclaus

wclaus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My system recently stopped reading CD's and DVD's in both optical drives.
As far as I can tell, this is the only problem.
Both drives are there, not missing in Windows XP and I know the hardware is good, as WinXP allows me to eject a disc and they also work in another system.

Norton Win Doctor says everything is fine. System information and Control Panel also show no problems. I tried removing the drives and reinstalling them, but again, no luck. They show up in My Computer as drives D: and E:, but when a disc is inserted, they either say the disk is not accessible, or 0 bytes, or just a blank disk.

CDGONE patch is no help either.

Everest identifies the drives and was helpful providing a link to Sony's website.
I downloaded and ran Sony's DriveCheck program. The drive passed the tests and wrote and read okay. So it must be a WinXP thing right?

Whenever I put in a perfectly good CD, My Computer just shows:
CD Drive (D:) CD Drive 0 bytes

[even though it is a CD/DVD burner]

Any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks anyone.

Edited by wclaus, 10 August 2005 - 11:01 PM.

Advertisements

papashango

papashango

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

My system recently stopped reading CD's and DVD's in both optical drives.
As far as I can tell, this is the only problem.
Both drives are there, not missing in Windows XP and I know the hardware is good, as WinXP allows me to eject a disc and they also work in another system.

Norton Win Doctor says everything is fine. System information and Control Panel also show no problems. I tried removing the drives and reinstalling them, but again, no luck. They show up in My Computer as drives D: and E:, but when a disc is inserted, they either say the disk is not accessible, or 0 bytes, or just a blank disk.

CDGONE patch is no help either.

Everest identifies the drives and was helpful providing a link to Sony's website.
I downloaded and ran Sony's DriveCheck program. The drive passed the tests and wrote and read okay. So it must be a WinXP thing right?

Whenever I put in a perfectly good CD,  My Computer just shows:
CD Drive (D:)      CD Drive    0 bytes

[even though it is a CD/DVD burner]

Any suggestions?

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks anyone.

View Post

how are your drives set up? do you have 1 hard drive and then the 1 optical? maybe try putting the optical as a master on the secondary IDE controller? shot in the dark...