Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS guard [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Just today I've been having major problems with spyware. At the start of the day whenever i booted windows my background would change to something about my system shutting down and a "Critical warning." It would flood my desktop with random icons and whenever i open IE pop ups come telling me about spyware removal and other random things even though I have the Google Toolbar. I've been trying to fix the problem since i got home from work and I've got to the point where it doesn't change my background and come up with Spy Sheriff, but i still get pop ups when i use IE. I thought I had it fixed but apparently not... :tazz:

Here is a HJT logfile:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:13:47 PM, on 13/07/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DEVLDR16.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAVAPW32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\AUDIOHQ\AHQTB.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\POPROXY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CYBERLINK\POWERDVD\PDVDSERV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SONY\SONICSTAGE\SSAAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\STCHOST.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.eastlink.ca/
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B75F75B8-93F3-429D-FF34-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZOLKER004.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Auto-Protect] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Speed racer] C:\Program Files\Creative\PlayCenter\CTSRReg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] C:\WINDOWS\Updreg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton eMail Protect] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\POProxy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OmgStartup] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\OmgStartup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\SONY\SONICS~1\SSAAD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Auto Update] C:\WINDOWS\stchost.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devldr16.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://www.popcap.co...aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O21 - SSODL: OLE Module - {0656A137-B161-CADD-9777-E37A75727E78} - (no file)

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
First, download and install CleanUp! but do not run it yet.
*NOTE* Cleanup deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders and does not make backups.

Download, install, and update Ewido Security Suite
  • Install ewido security suite
  • Launch ewido, there should be a big E icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  • The program will prompt you to update click the OK button
  • The program will now go to the main screen
You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
  • On the left hand side of the main screen click update
  • Click on Start
The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
After the updates are installed, exit Ewido

Reboot into Safe Mode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight Safe Mode, then hit enter.

Once in Safe Mode, Open Cleanup! by double-clicking the icon on your desktop (or from the Start > All Programs menu).
Set the program up as follows:
Click "Options..."
Move the arrow down to "Custom CleanUp!"
Put a check next to the following (Make sure nothing else is checked!):
  • Empty Recycle Bins
  • Delete Cookies
  • Delete Prefetch files
  • Cleanup! All Users
Click OK
Press the CleanUp! button to start the program.

After Cleanup! is finished:
  • Run Ewido
  • Click on scanner
  • Click Complete System Scan
  • Let the program scan the machine
While the scan is in progress you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose "clean", then put a check next to "Perform action on all infections" in the left corner of the box so you don't have to sit and watch Ewido the whole time. Click OK.

Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report
  • Save the report to your desktop
  • Exit Ewido
Reboot into normal mode.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and remove the following:

SpySheriff

Exit Add or Remove Programs.

Delete the following, in bold, if found:

C:\Documents and Settings\user account\Start Menu\Programs\SpySheriff <-whole folder
C:\Documents and Settings\user account\Application Data\Install.dat
C:\Program Files\SpySheriff <-whole folder
C:\Windows\Desktop.html
C:\winstall.exe

*NOTE* user account is not the actual name of that folder. The name of that folder will be the name of your computer profile.

Make sure you are disconnected from the Internet and that all programs and windows are closed. Run HiJackThis. Place a check next to the following items, if found, and click FIX CHECKED:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {B75F75B8-93F3-429D-FF34-660B206D897A} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZOLKER004.DLL

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Auto Update] C:\WINDOWS\stchost.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE<<resource hog

O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://www.popcap.co...aploader_v6.cab

O21 - SSODL: OLE Module - {0656A137-B161-CADD-9777-E37A75727E78} - (no file)

Close HiJackThis.

RIGHT-CLICK HERE and go to Save As (in IE it's "Save Target As") in order to download the smitfraud reg to your desktop.

Double-click smitfraud.reg on your desktop. When asked if you want to merge with the registry click YES.

After the merged successfully prompt, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following folder:

C:\Windows\Prefetch

If there are any files inside the Prefetch folder, delete ALL of them. (Do NOT delete the folder. Just delete the files inside.)

Reboot your computer.

You should be able to change your desktop back to normal now.

Please download and follow these instructions for setting up and running Ad-Aware SE 1.06:
Ad-Aware SE Setup (if you already have Ad-Aware 1.06, please update to the latest definitions then set the program up per the instructions on the page).

Post the report from Ewido and a new HiJackThis log into this topic. :tazz:

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Lately I'v been infected with Malware called Ps Guard... it changes my background and makes pop-ups everytime I go on the internet. It also changed my homepage to about:blank but it goes to some "search for.." site.

Here is my HJT log:

Scan saved at 2:18:29 AM, on 11/08/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SAHLJ.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SHAREDLL\AHQ\CTMIX32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\MOUSE\POINT32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INTELL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/space.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/space.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
F1 - win.ini: run=hpfsched
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0E7A58C2-3148-4561-9C48-02941CB3DBAA} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBAP.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV DefAlert] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\DEFALERT.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton Auto-Protect] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE /LOADQUIET
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OmgStartup] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\OmgStartup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norton eMail Protect] C:\PROGRAM FILES\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\POProxy.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Speed racer] C:\Program Files\Creative\PlayCenter\CTSRReg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreativeMixer] C:\Program Files\Creative\Sharedll\AHQ\CTMIX32.EXE /t
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sahlj] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sahlj.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sp] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SE.DLL,DllInstall
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intell32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\intell32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSGuard] C:\Program Files\PSGuard\PSGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.neededware.com
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://www.shockwave...aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: NDWCab - http://www.neededware.com/ndw4.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O18 - Filter: text/html - {218DEE9D-4A45-44D5-BB34-5EE1B860EC63} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBAP.DLL
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {218DEE9D-4A45-44D5-BB34-5EE1B860EC63} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBAP.DLL

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did some work on it and got it so I have my background back, but i still get alot of popups on IE and my home page is about:blank.

Here is my new HJT log:
Scan saved at 1:13:38 PM, on 11/08/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/space.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/space.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 6.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0E7A58C2-3148-4561-9C48-02941CB3DBAA} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBAP.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreativeMixer] C:\Program Files\Creative\Sharedll\AHQ\CTMIX32.EXE /t
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://www.shockwave...aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft....k/?linkid=39204
O18 - Filter: text/html - {E0F30009-C3D0-4977-A768-8FEF107412E8} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBAP.DLL
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {E0F30009-C3D0-4977-A768-8FEF107412E8} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBAP.DLL

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I posted a HJT log on here before and got no responses so i worked on it myself and I got it to the point where the pop ups dont occure as much but they still come up quite a bit. Also recently the pops ups have been coming up whenever I'm on a program that uses the internet (MSNMSG, warcraft). When I'm on warcraft it will randomly "alt-tab" out of the program once then I go back and it "alt-tabs" out again and a popup comes up this causes a lot of lagg and my interenet is getting slow. Plus the Stop Spyware and Play Casino icons still come up on my desktop.

HJT log:
Scan saved at 9:56:14 PM, on 16/08/2005

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://home.eastlink.ca/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Ill run off and delete your previous post. If you had waited, you could have posted in the not getting help thread in this forum.

Since you have tried fixing things yourself, I will need to see what you have already removed. Prior removals may hide the root of the infection from me.

To restore the backups:
  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click Open the Misc Tools section
  • Click the Backups button
  • Place a check mark next to everything in that window
  • Click Restore
  • Click Yes
  • Reboot your computer
  • Re-open HiJackThis and post a new logfile for review.
After that, post back here with a fresh HiJackThis log and also with an uninstall list.

Open HijackThis, click Config, click Misc Tools
Click "Open Uninstall Manager"
Click "Save List" (generates uninstall_list.txt)
Click Save, copy and paste the results in your next post.

ScHwErV :tazz:

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Scan saved at 10:08:18 PM, on 16/08/2005

Running processes:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TROJANHUNTER 4.2\THGUARD.EXE"

uninstall-list
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Adobe Download Manager 1.2 (Remove Only)
Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition
Adobe Reader 6.0.1
AresLite 2.0.0
Backup Dell-Installed Programs
CleanUp!
Diablo II
DiMAGE Viewer
DivX Player
FoneSync
HijackThis 1.99.1
HP DeskJet 640C Series (Remove only)
LiveAdvisor (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 1.6 (Symantec Corporation)
Macromedia Shockwave Player
Memory Stick Walkman Driver
Microsoft IntelliPoint 4.1
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and Internet Tools
Microsoft Outlook Express 6
Microsoft Picture It! Publishing 2001
Microsoft Word 2000 SR-1
Microsoft Works 2001 Setup Launcher
Microsoft Works 6.0
Microsoft Works Suite Add-in for Microsoft Word
Minolta DiMAGE remote camera driver
MSN Messenger 7.0
MUSICMATCH Jukebox
Nero Media Player
Nero OEM
NeroVision Express 2
Norton AntiVirus 2000
OpenMG Limited Patch 4.1-05-13-31-01
OpenMG Secure Module 4.1.00
PowerDVD
QuickTime
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Search Assistant Uninstall
Shockwave
SonicStage 3.0
Sound Blaster Live! Value
Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4
Starcraft
TrojanHunter 4.2
Warcraft III
WinRAR archiver
WinZip

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Since I now see that CW6 has already offered you help, I must make sure that you are not going to ignore me after I offer you help.

When you finish with the instructions that I gave you, post a reply here in this thread.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Please read this post completely, it may make it easier for you if you copy and paste this post to a new text document or print it for reference later.

This will likely be a few step process in removing the malware that has infected your system. I encourage you to stick with it and follow my directions as closely as possible so as to avoid complicating the problem further.

You have a nasty CoolWebSearch infection. First we will need to download a few tools that will help us in the removal of your problem.

Download about:buster by RubbeRDuckY Here.
Download CWShredder Here.
Download SpSeHjfix Here.
Download and install CleanUp! Here

Save all of these files somewhere you will remember like to the Desktop.

Unzip SpSeHjfix to its own folder (ie c:\SpSeHjfix)

Run the CleanUp! installer. You dont need to do anything with it right now.

Update About:Buster
  • Unzip the contents of AboutBuster.zip and an AboutBuster directory will be created.
  • Navigate to the AboutBuster directory and double-click on AboutBuster.exe.
  • Click "OK" at the prompt with instructions.
  • Click "Update" and then "Check For Update" to begin the update process.
  • If any updates exist please download them by clicking "Download Update" then click the X to close that window.
  • Now close About:Buster
Update CWShredder
  • Open CWShredder and click I AGREE
  • Click Check For Update
  • Close CWShredder
Boot into Safe Mode:
Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please run about:buster by RubbeRDuckY:
  • Click Start and then OK to allow AboutBuster to scan for Alternate Data Streams.
  • Click Yes to allow it to shutdown explorer.exe.
  • It will begin to check your computer for malicious files. If it asks if you would like to do a second pass, allow it to do so.
  • When it has finished, click Save Log. Make sure you save it as I may need a copy of it later.
  • Reboot your computer into safe mode again
Run about:buster again following the same instructions as above, this time without the restart at the end

Now run CWShredder. Click I Agree, then Fix and then Next, let it fix everything it asks about.

Now run SpSeHjfix. A log will be saved in the same folder that you put the exe into. Please post the results of that log in your next reply.

Now run CleanUp!. Click CleanUp and allow it to delete all the temporary files.Reboot your computer into normal windows.

Please run an on-line virus scan at Kaspersky OnLine Scan or if that doesnt work, you can use TrendMicro or BitDefender. (Please post the results of the scan(s) in your next reply)

After all that, please post back with how things went as well as the logs requested and a new HiJackThis log.

Good Luck

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have done what you instructed me to do and About:Buster and CWShreder came up with nothing.

Here is my SPSeHFix log:

(8/16/05 10:22:46 PM) SPSeHjFix started v1.1.2
(8/16/05 10:22:46 PM) OS: WinME (4.90.3000)
(8/16/05 10:22:46 PM) Language: english
(8/16/05 10:22:46 PM) Win-Path: C:\WINDOWS
(8/16/05 10:22:46 PM) System-Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
(8/16/05 10:22:46 PM) Temp-Path: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Disinfection started
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Bad-Dll(IEP): c:\windows\temp\se.dll
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Searchassistant Uninstaller found: regsvr32 /s /u C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DBAP.DLL
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Searchassistant Uninstaller - Keys Deleted
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) UBF: 4 - UBB: 1 - UBR: 25
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Run-Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\sp=rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SE.DLL,DllInstall (deleted)
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) UBF: 4 - UBB: 1 - UBR: 24
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Bad IE-pages:
deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, HomeOldSP: about:blank
deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search, SearchAssistant: about:blank
deleted: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, Search Bar: res://c:\windows\temp\se.dll/space.html
deleted: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, Start Page: about:blank
deleted: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, HomeOldSP: about:blank
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Stealth-String not found
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) File added to delete: c:\windows\system\dbap.dll
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) File added to delete: c:\windows\temp\se.dll
(8/16/05 10:23:01 PM) Reboot
(8/16/05 10:23:52 PM) SPSeHjFix 2nd Step
(8/16/05 10:23:53 PM) Stealth-String not present. Disinfection succesfully
(8/16/05 10:23:59 PM) Cleaned

(8/16/05 10:26:15 PM) SPSeHjFix started v1.1.2
(8/16/05 10:26:15 PM) OS: WinME (4.90.3000)
(8/16/05 10:26:15 PM) Language: english
(8/16/05 10:26:15 PM) Win-Path: C:\WINDOWS
(8/16/05 10:26:15 PM) System-Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
(8/16/05 10:26:15 PM) Temp-Path: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\

(8/16/05 10:44:58 PM) SPSeHjFix started v1.1.2
(8/16/05 10:44:58 PM) OS: WinME (4.90.3000)
(8/16/05 10:44:58 PM) Language: english
(8/16/05 10:44:58 PM) Win-Path: C:\WINDOWS
(8/16/05 10:44:58 PM) System-Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
(8/16/05 10:44:58 PM) Temp-Path: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\

(8/16/05 10:47:58 PM) SPSeHjFix started v1.1.2
(8/16/05 10:47:58 PM) OS: WinME (4.90.3000)
(8/16/05 10:47:58 PM) Language: english
(8/16/05 10:47:58 PM) Win-Path: C:\WINDOWS
(8/16/05 10:47:58 PM) System-Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
(8/16/05 10:47:58 PM) Temp-Path: C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\

KasperSky Online Scan Log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ON-LINE SCANNER REPORT
Tuesday, August 16, 2005 23:19:04
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Kaspersky On-line Scanner version: 5.0.67.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 17/08/2005
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 135566
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
Scan using the following antivirus database: standard
Scan Archives: true
Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
a:\
c:\
d:\
e:\

Scan Statistics:
Total number of scanned objects: 15904
Number of viruses found: 3
Number of infected objects: 18
Number of suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan process: 2813 sec

Infected Object Name - Virus Name
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000111.CPY Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000112.CPY Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000119.CPY Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\IHLP.0 Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\EHMP.0 Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\GGFA.0 Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000150.CPY Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000155.CPY Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000158.CPY Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000159.CPY Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000162.CPY Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0000163.CPY Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0001380.CPY Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0001381.CPY Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sahlj.exe Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Lastad.r
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\oleext.dll Infected: Trojan.Win32.Small.ev
c:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\EPXActiveX.ocx Infected: Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Lastad.r
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\56A967A4.DLL Infected: Virus.Win32.Nsag.b

Scan process completed.

The above viruses were not removed from my system.

Edited by Kr3w, 16 August 2005 - 08:21 PM.

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Lets try the Kaspersky scan again, this time tell it to remove everything.

After that, post back with a fresh HiJackThis log and we will continue.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Ok, since most of the problems reside in the system restore, lets clear that.

The Windows system restore is helpful at times, but when a virus hits, it can store the virus and help it to re-infect the system every time it is deleted. In order to remove the virus from the system restore, we need to clear your temporary restore cache. In doing this, please note that this will remove all past restore points.

Follow These Instructions To Disable System Restore:
  • Click Start, Settings, and then click Control Panel
  • Double-click the System icon. The System Properties dialog box appears
    NOTE: If the System icon is not visible, click "View all Control Panel options" to display it.
  • Click the Performance tab, and then click File System.
  • Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore
  • Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.
Now we need to Re-Enable Windows Me System Restore as follows:
  • Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  • Double-click System, and then click the Performance tab.
  • Click File System, and then click the Troubleshooting tab.
  • Uncheck Disable System Restore.
  • Click OK. Click Yes, when you are prompted to restart Windows.
After that, boot into safe mode.

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Please delete these files using Windows Explorer(if present):

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sahlj.exe
c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\oleext.dll
c:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\EPXActiveX.ocx
c:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\Quarantine\56A967A4.DLL

After that, Reboot.

After you reboot, post back with how things went and a fresh HijackThis log.

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i deleted all of thsoe files except :
c:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\EPXActiveX.ocx

HiJackThisLog:

Scan saved at 3:28:09 PM, on 17/08/2005

Running processes:

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...ebscan_ansi.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Please read this post completely, it may make it easier for you if you copy and paste this post to a new text document or print it for reference later.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Reboot into safe mode.

Please delete these files using Windows Explorer(if present):

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\sahlj.exe

After that, Reboot.

Then post a fresh log. Also, let me know how things are running.

Kr3w

Kr3w

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The net seems to be running a bit better and I haven't had a popup in a while.
*Edit actually now that I have been using the internet more it is still slow and sometimes won't load pages.*

HJT Log:

Scan saved at 3:50:58 PM, on 17/08/2005

Running processes:

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...ebscan_ansi.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall60.t...all/xscan60.cab

Edited by Kr3w, 17 August 2005 - 01:06 PM.