Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Emergency! At work with Win2k problem!

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I am at work right now. Before I left work last night...another IT operator asked me to reboot our printerserver which is running win2k.

During the boot process, I see a message stating that we have a SCSI bios (adaptec). Then it says NO SCSI Boot Device Found - SCSI BIOS Not Installed!

It looks like it's pulling up the SCSI drives... I see it lists all four drives and then says "Successful!" on screen.

Next, we get to the Windows Loading Screen. Just before the desktop.....Bam. I get the blue screen of death with the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I've checked the knowlege base but came up with nothing. One post said something about a virus, but the error message was slightly different from my own. Another post, which matched my error message exactly, was for an XP machine.

This system had just installed updates from Microsoft yesterday. That's why we needed to reboot the machine. I tried Safemode but got the same error. One of the posts I read said it may actually boot in Safe Mode with Networking, but it didn't. I also tried to load the last known good configuration, but that didn't work either. I'm not real familiar with SCSI drives so am thinking I may not be pressing a key or something during the boot process. Any Ideas?

I pressed F6 and/ or <Control><A> to enter the SCSISelect Utility, but didn't see anything there that looked as if it would help.

Any and all information...as soon as possible....will be greatly appreciated. I have many people who are now unable to print. I'm here all alone for another four hours or so. Please help. Thanks,

Edited by magusbuckley, 11 August 2005 - 03:17 AM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Why don't u try the post with same probem, the one with XP.
Xp and 2k are similar in most aspects.
So give the solutions in that post a shot.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
darth_ash:

I appreciate your quick response.

From the knowlege base...I see this as the web pages header:

"STOP 0x0000001E KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" Error Message from Aspi32.sys

I don't see anything about ASPI.sys in my error message, but rather ntoskrnl.exe on the line starting with "*** Address ...".

The resolution to this problem is as follows:

This behavior can occur if an older version of the Advanced SCSI Programming Interface (ASPI) layer is installed on your computer. By default, Windows XP does not include ASPI support. To resolve this behavior, obtain and install ASPI version 4.57 or later. For information about how to do so, visit the following Adaptec Web site:

I'm not thinking this will solve my problem. I don't want to upgrade anything until someone from the day shift comes in. Somehow...I'm thinking this isn't the problem. If it's been running the same ASPI software just fine all along...why the sudden need for an update?

I will try to find the updated ASPI software in the mean time. Any other ideas?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
While researching the Microsoft site, I finally found another incident of this error that pertains directly to Windows 2000. To find it, however, I had to search for STOP 0x0000001E instead of the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED section of the error message.

Basically, they say that this issue is caused by a bad driver (usually the video card), or a RAM problem of some sort. It advised to try rebooting in safemode (which I did) and rebooting with Last Known Good Configuration (which I did). Neither of these options has helped me thus far.

I'm wondering now if we didn't download a bad video card driver during the update process.

For, I'll assume I've exhausted all possible search options and will have to let this one ride for a few hours until someone else comes in. In the mean time, I'll continue to check back here every so often to see if any of you have any other possible solutions.

Thanks,

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Have u tried the Win2k Resouce Kit:
Direct link to BSoD section in Win2k Resource kit

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
You will need to make sure that you are Administrator on the Windows 2000 pro before you fix some problems as they MIGHT require administration rights