Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with a user account

• Please log in to reply

DJJ

DJJ

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi initially I thought the computer had malware problems but after a thorough decontamination the problem seems to be win xp related. At the moment there are two user accounts on the machine (it's actually my mum's) one logs onto our local network I think (it's called TSG) and the other is for the local machine. The networked account is fine, but in the local one all the applications don't seem to work claiming that they're not valid win32 applications, this applies to the source files and the icons I think. Any help please?

Edited by DJJ, 11 August 2005 - 07:18 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I dont htink that your allowed to post a HJT long on here till a staff member asks you to.

DJJ

DJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Oops sorry just trying to be helpful!

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Its ok

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as an attempt...if you can navigate from the non network user to the location within the networked user to the location where the program is located (sometimes just linking to the shortcut on their desktop will work) it might get them to open

DJJ

DJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Tried that but it didn't help. Even if I attempt to run the source file directly without using a shortcut many of the programs don't work. Even if I right-click my properties I get C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe is not a win32 application. This means that most of the tools tend not to work eg ewido, hjt, ccleaner etc.

My mum thinks it might have to do with a problematic sage install is this possibly the cause and any suggestions as to how to fix it? Perhaps the registry's corrupted or something? At the moment the only programs that I know work are internet explorer and outlook, though I can explore using my computer. Any help much appreciated!

Edited by DJJ, 11 August 2005 - 10:08 AM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Ok, have you scanned your cmputer for virus's and malware

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....since you mentioned a system file try putting your xp cd in the machine then do run > sfc /r (though you shouldnt havee an issue with system files being corrupted between users...usually if it's screwed for one its scrwed for all)

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

also....since you mentioned a system file try putting your xp cd in the machine then do run > sfc /r (though you shouldnt havee an issue with system files being corrupted between users...usually if it's screwed for one its scrwed for all)

View Post

Aint this guy awesome? lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sfc is sort of like duct tape..you can use it to do everything from fixing a car to making purses

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
i so did not know that... I'll keep that in mind

DJJ

DJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I don't think I have any viruses/malware as I've just cleaned the computer very thoroughly with help from the malware forum (although this was in the other user profile). However this is the log from a pandascan:

Hacktool:Hacktool/Processor No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\ethel.TSG\My Documents\DJJ\VundoFix.zip[process.exe]
Possible Virus. No disinfected C:\HJT\backups\backup-20050810-122630-838.dll
Hacktool:Hacktool/Processor No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{987E0331-0F01-427C-A58A-7A2E4AABF84D}\RP475\A0079004.exe
Possible Virus. No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{987E0331-0F01-427C-A58A-7A2E4AABF84D}\RP475\A0079010.dll
Hacktool:Hacktool/Processor No disinfected C:\System Volume Information\_restore{987E0331-0F01-427C-A58A-7A2E4AABF84D}\RP475\A0079071.exe
Hacktool:Hacktool/Processor No disinfected C:\VundoFix\process.exe It appears to think that the vundofix I used to fix a virus (as reccommended in the malware forum) is a virus and also there's an infection in the restore points which I want to delete but can't at the moment beacuse I can't get to the properties in my computer.

I'll try the win xp cd thing now.

UPDATE Having typed "sfc /r" in the run command box I was met with the message "sfc is not a valid win32 application". It's getting slightly repetitive!

Edited by DJJ, 11 August 2005 - 10:40 AM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I think that you should scan your computer of it aye, just to be on the safe side.

DJJ

DJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry don't understnad your last post - I have scanned the computer using pandascan in the problematic user profile. The other profile is shiny and clean having been vigorously disinfected.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
djj is your xp cd in the drive when you do the sfc?