Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Recovery CD

• Please log in to reply

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok I just installed linux and now it won't let me boot xp. People on the linux website said I need the Windows XP recovery CD but the makers of my pc Packard Bell didn't give me one so is there anyway to get one/make one?

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
During the installtion of Linux, did install any boot loader?

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I would like to sound smart but the honest answer is I have no idea. This is the linux i used but i installed it to my hard drive.
http://slax.linux-live.org/

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Also are all windows recovery disks the same? So for example could I use one if it came with a mates pc.

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Any ideas anybody?

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok some linux systems take over your full Hard Drive as it did this too mine where as some just instantly boot from linux so you have to setup the bootloader in the settings.
First of all in linux go to /root/mnt I think and it should have your linux drive and another there for windows. if it has only one drive then windows has gone and if you don't have a recovery disk then you can;t re-install windows and I think it is illegal to use somebody elses Windows Disk.
All new computers should come with a disk, If you have bought this computer recently then contact the place where you got the computer. If not then contact Microsoft.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Slax looks very very similar too PCLinuxOS 9.1, I can only see a few slight differences.

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok don't think it did cause it still lists hd1 and hd2 and hd2 contains all my windows files if that helps. And also thanks for the advice about getting in contact with Microsoft.

Edited by lt b0ngo, 11 August 2005 - 09:59 AM.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Ok first go to the Control centre and find Bootloader and then just set up a diffferent boot option (Windows) and then shutdown/Restart and then you SHOULD be able to choose.
I have used Linux before but do not have it now and cant quite remember exactly how to do it.

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok trying to find the bootloader will get back to you when im finished.

fogshat

fogshat

• Pip
  • 6 posts
...is usually pc specific...

an xp recovery disk is a snapshot of your specific installation at the time you make the disk, its like the win2k or even NT repair disk.

a pc recovery disk from a pc mfr, as an example Emachines (i dont know if they still do) used to use nothing more than a ghosted image to recover the original setup but it is specific to the exact pc, so no, they are not all the same

u dont really clarify if it is separate partitions on the same hd, or separate physical disks

if theyr both on the same hd then ignore the rest of this:

you say you have linux on hd1, and windows on hd2 is this 2 separate physical hard disks, or just partitions, and if they are in fact hard disks, is the boot sequence correct in bios to boot to the windows (hd2) 1st?

then after that you can modify the windows bootloader Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery.

Click 'edit' and you'll see your system specific bootloader txtfile, disk(0)is default boot, disk(1)2nd boot, disk(2)3rd boot etc

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2003 Server" /fastdetect

if you screw up you can always do last known good configuration to fix it, oh and this time be sure to make a recovery/repair disk for yourself, or better yet, ghost it

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Ok hd1 and hd2 and different partion they are not two different hard drives. You said make a recovery/repair disc yourself how would i go around doing this when i get windows working again?

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Also what you said about them being machine specific I don't want to use it to recovery I just want to use the repair bit on it so would a friends still not work on my pc?