Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Slow at startup

• Please log in to reply

scottb

scottb

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Hi all,

I hope someone can give me a few suggestions to this problem. Now to start, a friends comp is slow when booting up.

I'll start at the start of this problem

He called me to say his system wouldn't start he'd left it running while out in the garden.
when he returned the screen was showing him an error message regarding drivers or newly installed hardware or a lack of memory was the messages.

This i suspect was caused by an improper shut down, but the cause of the improper shutdown i do not yet know.

He couldn't enter the screen to access last good known configuration, i advised him to try a repair instalation of windows but again the screen mentioned above appeared,
i then told him to clear the cmos by moving jumpers on mobo and then returning them, this he done and tryed a repair install of windows, this worked but
when repairing windows he recieved 2 error messages regarding hardware installed in his computer his soundcard and graphics card the message was the same for both warning him the software he was try to install for the hardware was not found,
this i found strange as we were installing an O/S
the windows installation finished and system rebooted, but it was slow to start up so i suggested he reinstall the software for both cards and reboot but still slow at start up, he also tried another repair installation this time with no error messages but still slow at startup, its when the blue bar is loading, its like xp is searching for something driver, setup file but it eventually loads.

i've checked his drive using an external caddie all partitions are accessable
my next advise was to remove the sound card in both device manager and manually and start computer waiting on his reply, can't do that with graphics card
also thought it could be a memory problem so when he gets back will get him to download memtest and run on one module at a time.
He has run nortons to check windows and his hdd both report no faults in either
I would be grateful of any other suggestions as to the cause or cure for this problem

lets see if we can get to the bottom of this one
Thanks in advance
scottb :tazz:

Advertisements

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Not very wise when it comes to this but it might be worth a shot.

Remove graphics card and sound card phiscally
Try to restore windows like you have been doing.

As i said not sure if it will work but might be worth a shot then reinstall the cards once you got windows up and running again.

scottb

scottb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
thanks for the quick reply lt b0ngo

that did cross my mind and i will tell him to do this with the sound card but can't remove the graphics card although i did think about telling him to uninstall in in device manager and reboot, another thing i forgot to mention is no devices are showing any conflics in device manager and all are reported as working ok.

all other suggestions gratefull

scottb :tazz: