Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use 2 DVD burners

• Please log in to reply

Pri3st

Pri3st

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have just recently purchased a sony dru 710A dual layer dvd burner to replace my 500A burner. I have tried to install both of them on my computer so i can burn on the fly but when I try to install them either 1 of 2 things happens. First I install the 710 with the jumper set to master and the 500A set to slave. Windows picks up both drives but everytime I try to burn I get errors. Then I try to change both settings to "cable select"
and the 510A just disappears from windows all together. The 710A will burn fine but when I burn something and the drive tray pops out BOTH drive trays come out, first the 510A which is invisible, then the 710A with the actual disk in it. If any one has any solutions for this that will allow me to use both drives independantly I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Pri3st, 11 August 2005 - 05:41 AM.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
try to reinstall the devices one at a time and go back to the master/slave settings. before starting, uninstall the drivers using device manager:

Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>DVD/CDROM

right click each device>uninstall, then complete uninstall steps.

Start>Turn off computer>Restart

let windows find new hardware and reinstall the drivers. look into devive manager for yellow '!' or red 'x' under DVD/CDROM. uninstall a device each time an unsuccessful installation occurs.

is there another device connected to the IDE cable going to the hard drive? if not, you could also try connecting each device as a slave on the hard drive IDE cable.

take electrostatic discharge precautions when inside the PC. avoid touching exposed electronic components.

Pri3st

Pri3st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wow thanks for replying so quickly. I tried everything you suggested but nothing helped. I tried uninstalling and let windows reinstall the drives but I kept geting the same errors. I also tried every possible combination of jumper/cable stettings that I could think of. I do have a second drive connected to my main hard drive so i couldn't connect either of the drives to the hard drive. I should have also added that when I have the drives in the slave/master configuration(doesn't matter which is which) The dru 500A will work just fine, it will even complete the discs the 710A messes up. Both drives will play cd's and dvd's like normal but the 710 won't burn. I think I'm gonna try a firmware update on the 710A since it seems to be the problem...

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
please let us know how the firmware works out.

has the 710A ever worked properly? does it work when it is the only device installed?

if the firmware does not solve it, here are a couple of other things to try:
use the 'Update Driver' option in device manager.
try the 710A in another PC.

it's unlikely, but the IDE cable might have a problem. was the 710A always connected to the same connector on the IDE cable?

Pri3st

Pri3st

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wasn't the firmware but I think I figured it out though. If I change the setting in nero to "track-at-once" or "disc-at-once/96" then it works fine but with just plain disc at once it always messes up at 9% and says "disc changed" :tazz: I don't really know the differences between each mode but I heard disc-at-once is better. Oh well.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
congrats. thanks you for posting your solution. I'm not familiar with the nero settings. perhaps someone out there can explain the differences.