Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network - Connected but no internet?

• Please log in to reply

ashleyw83

ashleyw83

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been setting up a wireless network between my computer and one other computer in the house. The other computer has a Linksys Wireless G adapter on it, and it says it has an established connection to my computer. But it says it can't find the internet connection. What do I do next?

Advertisements

Teri27766

Teri27766

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having the same problem using the same Notebook wireless card. If anyone out there has a solution, please reply soon.

phirewallz

phirewallz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
What is your setup? You need a wireless router (of course) and your clients should not connect (ad-hoc) mode to another computer. Put everything in infrastructure mode otherwise one of the pc's need to run ICS and act as your router. That would be the worst way to do it. Give more info:
Router brand model
pc's, location, wired/wireless, etc.

ashleyw83

ashleyw83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What is your setup?  You need a wireless router (of course) and your clients should not connect (ad-hoc) mode to another computer.  Put everything in infrastructure mode otherwise one of the pc's need to run ICS and act as your router.  That would be the worst way to do it.  Give more info:
Router brand model
pc's, location, wired/wireless, etc.

View Post

Okay here is the whole setup:

Main computer:
Windows XP Home Edition
Connected with Verizon Online DSL
Westell VersaLink Model 327W gateway modem/router

2nd computer:
Windows XP Home Edition
Linksys Wireless-G adapter

The main computer is wired directly to the DSL, and I am attempting to connect the second computer to the DSL with the wireless adapter. The PC's are in neighboring rooms. I ran the Linksys setup disk on the 2nd computer, and it says it is 'Connected to the network, but cannot find internet'.

I have tried disabling the firewalls in the computers just to see whether that helps the internet come through, but it doesn't seem to work. What else can I try? This is my first time setting up a network, so treat me like i'm really dumb :tazz: Thanks for any suggestions you could give me.

ashleyw83

ashleyw83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
*bump* really need some tips on what to do next. Everyone in the house is hounding me over when the DSL is going to be up on the other computers in the house.

filefly

filefly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Make sure you set up the router to act as the PPPOE client. (put in your VOL username and password after choosing PPPOE as the connection type on the router's "setup" page.
tds

EDIT: Oops... I thought I saw that you were using a linksys router as well. Disregard that :tazz:

Edited by filefly, 17 August 2005 - 07:52 PM.