Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS Problem

• Please log in to reply

HQZ

HQZ

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey guys, I am a newbie in using online forums so I am sorry if I don't follow the "rules"

Here is my problem just built a new system:
P4 640 3.2GHz
MSI 915P Neo2 Platinum (v1.0B)
MSI RX800PRO
2 X 1GB Corsair DDR2-533
Maxtor 160GB SATA

Installed XP Pro and everything was running smooth, then I decided to try Live Update 3. After installation it asked to reboot. After that windows started and 5 sec after it booted the PC show one of these blue screens with something like hardware malfunction…. And restarted right away. The screen wasn't on the monitor for more that a sec. After going under safe mode and removing Live Update everything was fine. So I decided it might be a bios issue so went to mis and got the newest bios (v3.7). Cleared the CMOS form the bios and updated it and once the PC booted it said "CMOS sum incompatible (or maybe not correct) press F1 to continue or F2 to run setup" (or something like this). So I pressed F1 and tried to start windows but once it gets to the loading screen where the windows flag is it just show the flag for a sec and restarts. I decided it is the bios se went back to v3.0 same think. I had to reinstall windows and it is running know. My question is how can I install Live Update and not get the blue screen and how to flash the bios and not having to reinstall the windows, by the way my current bios version is 3.0. Also did anybody else experienced problems like this. Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if there is nothing wrong with the bios then dont update it, if it aint broke dont fix it, the msi boards can be flashed from windows you can reverse it if something isnt right. Have you tried live update again, also the blue screen is telling you what is wrong you should read it. Also you said you went into safe mode did you try booting up normally first.

HQZ

HQZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The reason I need the bios update is to enable a 64bit processor support. The blue screen shows up for just a sec and it is impossible to read for such a short time after that the PC starts booting again (by itself). Also with Live Update installed every time I boot up normally the blue screen comes up right after windows is started. Also any idea why the windows is not starting up after I flashed the bios using the floppy drive?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well could be a windows installation thing if the bios is to enable the 64 bit support it might need a diferent driver for the cpu now and windows will be missing it. You might try reinstalling windows after you have the bios flashed to the latest settings. You might try clearing the cmos and reconfiguring the bios before you install windows.

HQZ

HQZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks warriorscot I will try it tonight, I hope it works!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Me to, if that doesnt work it becomes more difficult.