Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't bring up "Windows Firewall" settings

• Please log in to reply

david_s

david_s

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
After a long bout with adware/viruses/malware, etc. (see gory details over in <http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=50809>), things look pretty good on a system a friend at church wanted me to help them with.

However, I've still got some remaining problems I'm hoping someone over here can help me with.

The most visible problem is this. When I bring up the WinXP SP2 security settings control panel applet and pick "Windows Firewall", I get the following error message:

"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings".

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Ok, lets make sure that this services is enabled.

Please go to:

Start>Run

Type in:

services.msc

click on ok, then look for.............Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

If it is disabled, then set it to automatic and start the service.

Also, are there any other firewalls installed?

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the quick response.

I ran services.msc, but I don't see "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" (or anything close).

There are no other firewalls installed on this system.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Ok we need to get this resolved. Just bare with me and I will do some reasearch and see if the other staff knows bouth this as well BRB

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
tony-- try runing the sfc (sorry i can never remember the commands for the thing..i know it's easy..but)

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
As part of my recovery from malware, I've already run 'sfc'.

After a bit of googling, I found this <http://windowsxp.mvp...redaccess.htm>. Should I give that a shot?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
couldn't hurt

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Thanks for the quick response.

I ran services.msc, but I don't see "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing" (or anything close).

There are no other firewalls installed on this system.

View Post

Hey look over this link.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;892199

I hope this helps

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
david - tony's link there may help...i read through it and it seems to reference errors other than yours but it make fix it...if not maybe unistall sp2 and reinstall it

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

david - tony's link there may help...i read through it and it seems to reference errors other than yours but it make fix it...if not maybe unistall sp2 and reinstall it

View Post

hehe thank you :tazz: ;) :)

Advertisements

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I looked at that MS link, but it seem to apply after getting the firewall working, So, I tried the link I found <http://windowsxp.mvp...redaccess.htm>. After applying that .reg file, I can start the firewall control panel applet.

But, the firewall is off and I can't turn it on because the "group policy' restricts me from doing so. This system is standalone, not in a domain or anything. How can I remove the "group policy"?

Thanks again.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
In the group polcey you can re-enable it...... Some with with Windows XP Pro and use's gpedit alot should know and help you with this.

If I had XP Pro still I woul dhelp but abck to home edition

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm a domain admin so i know the gp....let me know if you can use gpedit

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Nope, I've never used gpedit. Note that this is WinXP Home. I tried to run gpedit, but the system couldn't find it.

I'm wondering if the registry file I added from <http://windowsxp.mvp...aredaccess.htm> added the wrong permissions somehow.

How do I proceed?

Thanks again.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

i'm a domain admin so i know the gp....let me know if you can use gpedit

View Post

Nah he has not used a gpedit before, Im an gussing that it would be a standalone setting for the windows firewall for him that needs to allow user to turn on or off instead of being forced on or off.