Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't bring up "Windows Firewall" settings

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if it's not on a domain it may be in a local setting...let me look around for a sec

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en <--download that...it will give you the gpmc (group policy management console) once installed do run > gpmc and let me know when you're there

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

if it's not on a domain it may be in a local setting...let me look around for a sec

View Post

yeah it is a local setting.... but using gpedit can do this as well.

If I still had it i would be like fireing away aye, but nah I dont have it any more lol

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en  <--download that...it will give you the gpmc (group policy management console) once installed do run > gpmc and let me know when you're there

View Post

can this work with SP 2 Home edition?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i make no promises what so ever

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
nap I cannot install it :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
might need the admin pak first...hold on (i've never touched xp home...)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
nope...that won't work on xp home...have you tried uninstalling sp2 and reinstallilng it?

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have tried uninstalling SP2, but when it gets to the services section I get an "access denied' error (which might come from the firewall I just managed to "sort of" turn on).

What do you think about me deleting the registry keys I just added (to hopefully turn off the firewall again), then uninstalling SP2 and installing SP2?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe.....also...are you logged on as a true administrator?...to do this..when you get to the logon screen where you pick your user when you boot up...press ctrl alt delete and it will bring up the logon screen where you put in administrator as the user...then the password...which hopefully you have...

Advertisements

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yep, I'm logged in as true "administrator" in safe mode. I've also tried removing SP2 as a user with admin privileges booted normally.

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
What do you guys think of this procedure?

Go to <http://win-xp-sp.blo...p_archive.html> and scroll down to
"Uninstalling Windows XP SP 2 using Recovery Console".

Basically you boot the system off your XP install disk, then run "C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst".

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
It does not work all togethter dsenette as its a home version of XP and gpedit is only intended for XP Pro i think

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right tony...

i say try removing the sp2 with that method dave

david_s

david_s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, because I needed to get this system back in a hurry, I ended up copying everything off, reinstalling XP, copying stuff back on.

Thanks for the help.