Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File and Settings Transfer Wizard

• Please log in to reply

Bad Panda

Bad Panda

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am going to be moving some clients from their workgroup enviornment (they are in a satellite office) to their company's domain. These are all XP machines. I was going to use the F.A.S.T. to bring over their information to prevent any lost websites, emails, etc.
I haven't used this particular app before. Any helpful tips you can throw my way? Any precautions or concerns?
When I have looked at other information for this app, they are generally talking about going from one machine to another. Moving to the domain falls outside of the scope of what people have generally been using this for.

Thanks!
Bad Panda

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to make a machine part of a domain instead of a work group all you have to do is right click on my computer > properties > computer name > change then switch it from the workgroup to the domain...it will ask for a username and password for the domain..and you should be golden...doesn't involve any data loss on the actual computer..and if it doesn't work it will tell you

Bad Panda

Bad Panda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response, but unfortunately that isn't what I needed. These users have been saving things under their profiles for almost 2 years. When I add them to the domain, essentially a new user is created. So, after the PC is added to the domain, new profiles must be created with the security information for the domain. For instance, user Patty (pre-domain) has a profile on the local machine. "Patty" is not a domain account. Pattys might be. What I want is for Pattys to get the settings that account Patty had.
However the details work, the settings on the previous account won't follow into a new account created because it is a new account. I want to be able to move those settings. Thats why I wanted to use the transfer wizard.
Adding a machine to a domain is not a problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...got you...well you can just give their domain user access to the local user info and move the stuff over that way...i don't think it's neccessary to move stuff off of the machine

Bad Panda

Bad Panda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hmm...okay, just grant access and move the stuff.
See, what I normally do is export the user information to a share, i.e. Outlook, Favorites, My Documents, Desktop...plus whatever else needs to go. Then I add the machine to the domain, import the information that I exported, then delete the old profile as my last step, once everything is working.
It was my understanding that the transfer wizard would do all these things (minus deleting the profile) in one step. If so, then it would be easier (perhaps even quicker) than doing what I was doing before, and avoid having to redo their settings.
I am all for easier and quicker. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible