Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need backweb-1940576.exe File.

• Please log in to reply

yellorowz

yellorowz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I deleted the Backweb client backweb-1940576.exe file needed to use Compaq Connections on my XP HE (SP1) system. Everything else still appears to be in the proper folder - C:\Program Files\Compaq Connections\1940576\Program\ except for backweb-1940576.exe. I was told that I could reinstall the Backweb client by initiating the Compaq System Recovery. I did 'initiate' it, but only to a point where I could cancel the Recovery (because it is so much work to reinstall my other programs afterward), but Backweb didn't reinstall. I'm not sure that simply putting the .exe file back into the folder will work, but does anyone have a copy of their backweb-1940576.exe so that I might try it ?

Thank you, and for any other comments relating to this.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. I have a old HP PIII and Compaq AMD. I never used "backweb" on either one. I found it very annoying to have it phoning home to hp for reasons unknown to me. I always disabled it. Is there some legitimate reason that you need it?

yellorowz

yellorowz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for your reply and the welcome, Austin!

As you know, HP's Backweb client is necessary in order for me to use "Compaq Connections". I liked the product notices, support updates, and tips that were made available through "Connections". Too late was I aware that that that was what my Backweb was for...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might look in your recovery disks to see if there is a backweb folder. If there is you should be able to copy the file from it. There might also be a download from the HP/Compaq site.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yes, that should be on your recovery cd. Do a search and you will probably find it. I have had my HP and Compaq for several years, never had any use for their knowledge base. I have been able to use the HP web site for support questions, getting drivers etc. I completely removed backweb when I upgraded the HP PIII from Win98 to W2KPro and the Compaq from ME to W2KPro. I am sure you can get backweb from your cd if you really want it. I just want to alleviate your concern...Ihave been backweb free for a long time and never missed it at all!

yellorowz

yellorowz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you Tyger, and again Austin. I will search the 7 recovery disks for the Backweb folder and file. (Yes, SEVEN of them! So many Compaq owners speak of a single recovery disk, and I've always wondered about that. Perhaps different computer models...)

I do realize that Backweb isn't a popular program for its spyware-like properties. Maybe I am naive, but I have come to trust HP's integrity, and I don't believe that they use the program maliciously.

And I will post back should I locate the folder on my recovery disks.

yellorowz

yellorowz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, I was really hopeful that the folder/file might be found on the recovery disks, but alas, again the easy answer doesn't seem to be the right one.

Somewhere along the line awhile ago while doing something (I don't recall what now), I did get an error message referring to 'backweb-1940576.exe' being "missing". That's why I wonder if someone might have that file that they could send to me. It does seem that may work.