Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

ND-6100A on Dell Inspiron 700m won't burn CD-R

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Greetings All,

For the past several weeks, I've been having a difficult time getting my ND-6100A on my Dell Inspiron 700m notebook to burn CD-r discs. To put it simply, the drive is very erratic. Sometimes it recognizes the blank disc; usually it doesnt.

What discs have I been using, you say? A no-name Target CD-r, a Philips 52x CD-r and--most recently--a Maxell 48x CD-r. I even threw in a Memorex 4x CD-rw for variety. I doubt the problem is with the disc.

What programs have you used to burn? I-Tunes for music (which has mysteriously stopped recognizing the disc as blank), Sonic RecordNow! (ditto) and CDBurnerXP Pro 3 (you guessed it). I'm running XP and once or twice when I've gotten the drive to recognize the disc, I get a strange error message spat back at me. I wish I could write it here, but I haven't been able to get the drive to recognize the disc today.

I have had the latest automatic Windows updates as well.

So, any counsel, friends? I'd sure appreciate it.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
It could be the cd-rw laser was "jarred" and not lining up with the blank media..

Have you tried just putting in a cd-rom... CD program disk,music CD and see if that is regonized?