Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NOT READY/ UNACCESSABLE

• Please log in to reply

barbara960

barbara960

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Efwis just helped me with a Winfix problem that was causing alot of strange things to happen and refered me to this forum because my CD R/W PERIPHERAL still keeps giving me the message that it is "NOT READY/UNACCESSABLE. This started at the same time as the problems that have been fixed. UPON LOADING A DISC (BLANK OR OTHERWISE) THE GREEN LIGHT FLASHES FOR SOME TIME THEN ALL LIGHTS GO OUT. Is there something I can do to find out if my device is KAPUT or if something else is going on? Thank you all !! BD

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Efwis just helped me with a Winfix problem that was causing alot of strange things to happen and refered me to this forum because my CD R/W PERIPHERAL still keeps giving me the message that it is "NOT READY/UNACCESSABLE. This started at the same time as the problems that have been fixed.  UPON LOADING A DISC (BLANK OR OTHERWISE) THE GREEN LIGHT FLASHES FOR SOME TIME THEN ALL LIGHTS GO OUT.  Is there something I can do to find out if my device is KAPUT or if something else is going on? Thank you all !! BD

View Post

Do you know where the control panel is?

Sorry I cant direct you there in Windows 98 gold :tazz:

Edited by OneCool, 11 August 2005 - 05:24 PM.

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Unplug the pc and open the case and make sure the cable and power connectors are firmly in place. Check that both ends of the cable are firmly in place. The red stripe on the cable should be on the side with the power connector.

Goto control panel>system>device manager. Look for the drive under DVD/CD-Rom Drives or something similar. Click on the + sign to expand the drives. Are there any yellow exclamation marks or red circle with a line through it(I think). Red something anyway.

When a drive doesn't work I always try another brand of disc. I've had trouble with Memorex. K-Hypermedia seems to work in a wide variety of drives. Certain brands will not work in certain drives.

barbara960

barbara960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
HI Macten and CoolOne, thanks for responding! I opened the case and jiggled all the connections, tried it....still not reading a disc. Then I went to Device Mangager and checked for the flags you mentioned but there was nothing there. These are the discs I have been using, successfully, for some time now (TDK), and I've got ALOT of them left :tazz: Can there reliability change like that? In frustration I shut the whole thing down and restarted and lo and behold the green light burned steadily with a blank disc in it. I ejected that and inserted a disc I was working on and that failed. I insterted another in progress disc and that failed. I reinserted the blank disc....and THAT FAILED. I reinserted a working disc, shut down, restarted but did not get the green light on start up this time or through a few more various dics including a "HyperMedia" disc I had. So it read a blank disc, once, on start up then continued to fail. Does this help indicate any direction to take with this???? BD

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
How old is that drive? Are you a smoker?

Awhile back I worked on a pc that was owned by a smoker. I put my utility disk in and only 8 files showed up. There are about 50 files on the disk. I then blew compressed air into the drive and it then read all 50 files. But I suspect that the drive won't last much longer. He didn't want to spend the money on a new drive, so I guess he'll deal with it down the road.

There are some disks out there that will clean the optical eye but I don't know how effective they are. Someone else may want to comment on that.....

I rebuilt a pc the other day for a friend. The cd-rom drive wouldn't read any of my discs, so I pitched it and installed a new one. Problem solved.

I'm betting your drive is shot but it might be worth it to uninstall the drive in Device Manager and reinstall it. First though...how old is the drive and what brand is it?

barbara960

barbara960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for sticking with me Macten ! Yes, ;) , I am a smoker. The device is an Iomega; Zip CD1041, and it is about 4 years old. When I access it's properties in Device Manager it SAYS it is working properly. I didn't uninstall/install as you said to wait. :tazz: Thanks again BD

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Smoke is a real killer for these drives, but you might want to check out the 'DVD +RW Will not read or write' problem on this page. 'bdlt' has some good ideas.

I'm still betting the drive is shot but: Did the problem start after you installed any software or MS updates? I have see Kaspersky antivirus cause some weird problems. After uninstalling Kaspersky the problem went away. (just an example of something I have seen)

barbara960

barbara960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi !! I will check out bdlt's ideas. The [problem SEEMED to start at the same time that "Winfix" got me and started causing all sorts of wierd stuff that has all been resolved and "Winfix" destroyed. Maybe it was just a coincidence...???? I'll post back when I've tried bdlt's stuff. Thanks so much! BD

barbara960

barbara960

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Macten, Hi, I think you are right ;) , I tried all that stuff and am convinced I need to scrap this drive......and quit smoking :tazz: Thanks for all your time and effort! BD