Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Disconnected and sad

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: Was having no problems at all with wireless connection on laptop: SMC wireless card and Linksys router. Comcast is the internet provider and is coming in strong on desktop computer. Mind you, I set up none of this myself and have no clue how or why it worked when it did. Currently, SMC wireless card manager is showing disconnected so I have no access via laptop to internet. Operating system is Windows XP.

Contacting SMC support reached, I believe, all the way to India if you can imagine that. Tried both email support and then phone support. Procedures proposed don't even agree with each other so I was very leary of going too far with either one. Phone support had me re-scan within card manager multiple times with no outcome at all. Email support started by telling me to uninstall all my software programs. Since I would not know how to re-install them, I stopped at the beginning of this list of things to do.

Is there a simple answer to this problem? Is it time to replace the wireless card, perhaps? Where do people go for help who just don't have any real knowledge or expertise in computers? Electric typewriters were just coming into their own when I went to high school. So, help in very basic terms would be much appreciated!