Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 SATA Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jl582

jl582

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I had problem with old SATA hard drive (Windows XP Media). I have SONY desktop and it wasn't allowing me to restore windows. So I ended up budying new SATA harddrive.

After 2 weeks of struggling, I installed windows (Windows XP Media) into new hard drive. Here is problem I have.

I'm trying to use new hard as primary windows hard drive and use old one as just second backup storage. I plugged both into SATA ports and started windows. (EXTREMELY SLOW - hope nothing gets damanged).

I see second hard drive in My Computers. Even when window is up and running I notice exteme lag... when I click on second drive I get "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error"
I see both under Device Manger and "Working properly"

Is there a setup I'm missing? I hope I don't accidently delete data in my old drive.

Please help~ how do I make two SATA drive coexist happily in one computer.
(btw, I don't think both are set up to be RAID - so both are non-RAID)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Advertisements

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
If both drives are partitioned using Master Boot Record (MBR). Is it posssible one drive not be able to read other one? Both drives have about 6-7G partition space for recovery.
How can I get the data back?? Please help~~

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Do you have any idea ..

What the motherboard chipset is?

Is it a Intel setup or a AMD setup?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Use the repair function, and try and write a new master boot record on the drives.

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It is Intel motherboard. Both hard drives does get recognized (size and model), but just can't access it.

I tried to repair old hard drive using Maxtor application but at final screen it had window to partition as secondary and then "ERASE".
Wouldn't this delete all data in the old hard drive? Does this just delete boot record and write new record and keep all data as is?

Thanks,

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Use the repair function, and try and write a new master boot record on the drives.

Are you referring to new materboot record in new hard drive with current windows running? I would appreciate it if you could explain some details. Thanks,

p.s. I'm hoping if I have access to both, I maybe able to fix old hard drive's windows (current error: missing/damaged \windows\system\vgaoem.fon file can't start windows). then clean new hard drive and use it as backup hard drive.

Thank you.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Both of these drives are SATA right?

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, they are... old hard drive DiamondMax 9 -160GB and new hard drive DiamondMax 10 - 100GB.

Edited by jl582, 11 August 2005 - 06:27 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You use the windows repair sorry i should have mentioned that, stick the windows disk in and select repair console when it is loaded up, type fixmbr for each drive, i often find this seems to give the drives a boost after the first install of windows on them when they act slow. If you have the maxtor utility does it have a diagnostic tool if so run it, i suppose i should really get it myself but i have always just used repair console to fix things where possible.

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I installed recovery console and tried to start windows from recover console. Unluckly deadly blue screen Windows error came up.
"0x00000007B"...
I'll see if Maxtor's diagnostics can do anything.
If anyone has experienced similar problem or have suggestion, I would appreciate your help.
Thanks,

Advertisements

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It looks like I'll need to contact Maxtor customer service tomorrow morning... Failed at diagnostics test.
Hopefully I can get backup data somehow...
Thanks everyone for help.

Does anyone know good company for recovering hard drive data?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not really i dont know anybody thats been willing to spend the ridiculus amounts of money to get it done, you could build a very very nice top of the range pc for the money most of them ask for.

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
One of drive recovery company estimated $500-$2600... wow!!
(Supposely they take this drive into clean room to operate(??) sector by sector... ) interesting but i'm going to see if I can fix it myself (with knowledge and help from people at this website) Hopefully I can do so without damaging data in hard drive.

Just ran FIXMBR to this hard drive and computer starts much faster!! However, when I click on drive now, I get "drive not formatted, do you want to format now" Properties of drive shows entire drive is free...
What has happened? Did I just wipe out whole data in this drive using FIXMBR??
Please help~ I desperately need this data!
Thanks,

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I have never seen that happen to a working drive when you use fixmbr, tell you what i will go ask if some of the other staffers know more about data recovery i have never tried it myself so i would like a second or third opinion.

jl582

jl582

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks again for your help. I hope there is a good alternative. If all fails, it will cost me fortune... (and I'm even sure if this will even work).

Drive currently shows as "RAW" and 100% available (no data)... Hoping this is because of bad sector and not actual missing data.