Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plz help. New computer

• Please log in to reply

.Hack

.Hack

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys, I'm kinda new here and I wanted to ask ya something... (sorry for the speak but english's not my foreign language)

I'm buildin a new PC and what I already got it's an ATI x800xl (flashing it to open the 16 pipelines), 1GB corsair 2-2-2-5 ram, DFI lanparty nf4 ultra mobo and this is my big question...

Will it be better for me a Dual Core AMD or a Sinlge Core processor??

I never do "high demanding" multitask tasks, I do use linux (debian of course), build software with Genexus, Visual basic, and C, play games.. nothing more than that and here's the deal

AMD X2 3800+ 380 bucks, runs at 2.0ghz and OC to 2.4 according to my researchs. that's it, a 2.4ghz proc for 380 bucks

AMD single core 3800+ its only 300 bucks or even less! and it actually runs at 2.4ghz and's easily OC to more than 2.7ghz... and I can afford a 4200 proc... so.. wich one is best??

Running at "just" 2.4 (if I get a good chip) but havin dual core.. wich i actually rarely need... or running at more than 2.7 with ease, even more if I get a good chip???

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well here is the rub you are lookin at new chips that are single core but have amazing speed in single applications. But all those extra clocks arent really all that neccesary, im using a 3200+ venice i could have spent more money for the 3500+ but the extra performance would really be wasted as i run all my games at full anyway and new games are going to well on it, the gfx is the biggest limit in this sense, down the line i will get an X2 when the prices become more affordable but until then im enjoying all maybe games super smooth at full settings on my 3200+ that will clock up to 2.7 on the stock air.

By the way its the pro that doesnt have the full 16 pipes the xl is the 16pipe version there is alsoa rare XT PE version with even better performance. Also unless you have the bios allready i wouldnt bother trying to flash open the pipes on the pro considering the very small difference in price its not really worth the risk of making the card unusable.

Metalive

Metalive

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I say go with something cheap that runs nicely, like a 3200+ Venice core, and wait until the price drops on the X2's. The 3200+ will carry you easily till then, and you won't waste as much money.